Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Plot-holes
29-01-2011, 07:12 AM
RE: Plot-holes
(29-01-2011 07:08 AM)BoHenley Wrote:  Don't forget the gym membership, Bravo.

Ah yes! I must not forget that! And I must my own personal "Vaughn" and "Maya", where the heck do I find that?? Hmmmmm.....Huh

So that means I have to go find some creepy weird father-figure to get in leagues with to bomb an embassy, and find a weepy stone-faced sponge-like boyfriend?? This could be a bit difficult....ConfusedSilba

[Image: Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg]
RIP Carter Hall ~ Hawkman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I'll put this in spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the DVD extras
Series DVD extra Spoiler: show
The executive producer, the writer and NW did the commentary for 9.7 and they discussed the plot hole about John managing to pass himself as Lucas when joining MI5. They basically had no explanation how this would be possible saying it might happen and that they would 'just go with it'. This is possibly the worst piece of writing I have come across, surely if you have an idea there has to be a way to explain it in the story. This seems so wrong that an important part of the story can not be justified.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
(03-03-2011 12:55 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I'll put this in spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the DVD extras
Series DVD extra Spoiler: show
The executive producer, the writer and NW did the commentary for 9.7 and they discussed the plot hole about John managing to pass himself as Lucas when joining MI5. They basically had no explanation how this would be possible saying it might happen and that they would 'just go with it'. This is possibly the worst piece of writing I have come across, surely if you have an idea there has to be a way to explain it in the story. This seems so wrong that an important part of the story can not be justified.

Ha! I knew from the way they just glossed over how John Bateman managed to fool the system into becoming Lucas North, that they had no explanation or else they would have taken time to explain how he did it.

A quick little blurb was all they had, hoping that it would somehow satisfy viewers to suspend their disbelief. Dodgy

This is one central piece that holds the foundations of this story together, if they can't even bother to think it through and explain, why the hell did they start this crap in the first place! Angry

03-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I re-watched 9.1 last night, and I haven't stumbled across any major issues. I thought it was amusing that Beth supposedly trawled through "over 12000" photos to find one of the people involved in the terror attack - this is obviously supposed to explain how she was able to find "John Bateman's" information so quickly.

Does anyone know the significance of Vaughn having had a stroke? How was he able to track down Lucas/John in London? Where did the illusive suitcase come from?

I'll be watching episode 2 as soon as my laptop decides to play the DVD (stupid thing keeps telling me it can't for some reason Dodgy) to see if there's anything odd/unexplainable going on.

Gnothi Seauton.
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
NOOOOOOOO Not the evil suitcase again!!!!!!!!!! Vueltasss

That evil no good suitcase of doom ruined my life!

03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh, actually; Lucas/John's accent kept slipping through occasionally. I'm assuming RA was trying to plant the first inklings that Lucas was beginning to "break down", but it seems a bit... odd xD What accent is he supposed to have had originally? Accents are interesting, because if he was surrounded by people who all spoke with Southern, fairly RP accents, his original accent should not have slipped out. It's a subconscious thing; you would assume that he would only slide back into his 'home' accent if he was surrounded by people who spoke in the same way (eg, family members).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've been taught in my Language lessons!

Gnothi Seauton.
03-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Byatil
I agree with what you say regard accents, I live in Surrey and my friends say my Scottish accent sounds stronger when I've been with my son who is quite broad. Having said that my daughter lost her accent when 8 and even though being around us it is completely gone.

Would a gym so many years back in Dakar have photo membership and have it connected to a system (no idea of the name for it) that MI5 can access it many years and still hold onto paperwork of members no longer attending?

Finally to have no explanation of John getting into MI5 in Lucas's North position beggars belief and what does the future bode if they can just drop things on us with no thought of reason.
Having read two of David Wolstencroft's books the original creator of Spooks you get continuity the whole way through the storyline.

I wonder what next will be plucked out of the air!

(sorry rambled a bit, haven't posted for a while)

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.[/font][/i]
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
(03-03-2011 01:13 PM)Byatil Wrote:  Does anyone know the significance of Vaughn having had a stroke? How was he able to track down Lucas/John in London? Where did the illusive suitcase come from?

I'll be watching episode 2 as soon as my laptop decides to play the DVD (stupid thing keeps telling me it can't for some reason Dodgy) to see if there's anything odd/unexplainable going on.

Re the stroke, I think Vaughn explain in a later episode that he did it to get 'sympathy' from Lucas whose father had been ill, presumably following a stroke.
Vaughn must have help from the Chinese to discover where John/Lucas was and what his mobile number was. But if the Chinese knew all that why not just blackmail Lucas for themselves? Vaughn must have also found the location of Maya who conveniently worked in a London Hospital.

03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Half the plot was "convenient." So frustrating. And that they couldn't be bothered to write a way for Lucas's entry into MI5 - that's unforgiveable (in writing terms).
04-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Interestingly in 9.7 commentary the writer Anthony Neilson says he never wrote the part where we actually see Lucas/John detonate the bomb, that was added afterwards. He thought that if he had written it he would have wanted more of an explanation as to Lucas' thinking about what he was doing. The Executive Producer, Andrew Woodhead, said it was explained in the next episode, 9.8, on the roof scene with Harry. I think, 'it made me feel like someone', is a bit short of an explanation!