Peter Firth
09-07-2010, 10:02 PM
RE: Peter Firth
he has a lovely speaking voice its very soft

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2010, 10:25 PM
(09-07-2010 04:22 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I watched An Awfully Big Adventure last night. As twisted and disturbing a take on the Peter Pan story as this is, I thought PF was one of the best things in it as the devoted Stage Manager Bunny, AKA Tinkerbell. Bunny is one of the few characters that is not caricatured. His performance is very understated and it could have gone way off the deep end. It teetered on it, but never actually toppled into the overacting for laughs abyss. There were a lot of acting-in-between-the-lines moments which he does so well. It is a character that unfolds slowly and Bunny has a whole plot line all his own underneath everything else. I prefer his plot line as it is a whole lot less...um...sordid.

Currently watching AABA on Youtube. Some nice person has posted it on there in twelve parts with Spanish sub-titles. Will report further when finished watching it.

Over the last few weeks I have watched White Angel and Tess. I thought White Angel was a great little British film even though it was only made for £10k and shot mostly in a residential garage. As for Tess, I found it totally depressing. I think I have only read one Thomas Hardy novel and that was The Mayor of Casterbridge. I found that depressing as well. I did love the very young PF in Tess though. His face even then, was able to show such emotion, without words.

I have also just picked up The Incident on DVD, for about £3. PF plays a German POW. Not watched it yet, although I have a feeling I may have watched it on TV as a kid, many centuries ago.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2010, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010 07:15 AM by JHyde.)
Have you both seen the production of Dorian Gray that PF did with Peter Gielgud? I love Gielgud but his style is so different from PF's and I honestly think PF is a better fit for the production they had mapped out. He is so wonderful in that role, it's one of my favourite books and it was the second film of his I saw, after Equus, as a teenager.

It's readily available on youtube, if you haven't. Just search for Peter Firth and it will be on the the first videos that comes up, one of the ten (?) parts.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM
(10-07-2010 07:14 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Have you both seen the production of Dorian Gray that PF did with Peter Gielgud? I love Gielgud but his style is so different from PF's and I honestly think PF is a better fit for the production they had mapped out. He is so wonderful in that role, it's one of my favourite books and it was the second film of his I saw, after Equus, as a teenager.

It's readily available on youtube, if you haven't. Just search for Peter Firth and it will be on the the first videos that comes up, one of the ten (?) parts.

I have only seen a little clip on youtube but the first few minutes put me off to be honest. I think it was the quality of the production and its age. It is on my list to go back to though.

10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
It is dated, don't get me wrong. But PF is really good in it and there aren't many versions of what is an amazing book.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
10-07-2010, 02:20 PM
The Incident is a relatively good film - Matthau plays his usual shabby-grizzly-comes-good-in-the-end type; PF is nicely understated as the POW but doesn't get to develop his character much.

I've watched a bit of Dorian Gray but need to go back to it - I, too, was put off by the dated BBC production but I need to get over that and watch the boy do his thing.

Other good stuff of PF's worth looking out for if you're interested (IMHO):

:)his ep of Highlander - he plays a wonderful baddie (available on the net but I can't post the link)
Smile Prisoner of Rio (PF's very good in it, as is Paul Freeman as Ronnie Biggs...Stephen Berkoff is surprisingly awful!). A nice scene with PF in very skimpy Speedos...Angel
Smile The Pleasure Principle - quite hard to get hold of and I think only available on video (unless anyone else knows otherwise??Huh)...but PF plays a terrific character. Gets his kit off a lot, too. YahooVueltasss
Smile And I know it's an absolutely dreadful film...totally cringe-worthy, in fact...but PF's really good in "Lifeforce" - he plays it straight while everyone around him is hamming it up. He looks fab in it, too.
Smile Of course, Chill Factor is a must - the director should have been shot for getting all of the actors to overact horribly...but PF in black combat gear running around waving guns is worth putting up with an hysterical Cuba Gooding! And the ice cream scene. Well, just watch it. Thud

I managed to download "Red Ryder" and "Dominick Hyde" but haven't watched them yet. I also got hold of two out of three of his "Total Recall 2070" eps - the series is dreadful and PF's character is pretty one dimensional but he does the best he can with it.

What I really, really want to get hold of is "That's Life" - can't find it anywhere. If anyone's come across it, do tell!!

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
10-07-2010, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010 03:45 PM by A Cousin.)
(10-07-2010 11:23 AM)JHyde Wrote:  It is dated, don't get me wrong. But PF is really good in it and there aren't many versions of what is an amazing book.

I am ashamed to admit that I'm with TL and Picard on this one. I think I officially OD'd on BBC adaptations somewhere around 1985! LOL! They are much better now. I tried Dorian Grey. I have decided that I want to read the book first so I can go into the PF version with my own visuals in mind. There's another one for the pile.....

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
10-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm just about to watch ep 2 of "A Broker's Man" - PF plays a pretty horrible character but he does a wonderful Estuary accent...makes a nice change from his usual 'received pronunciation' or US accents.

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
(10-07-2010 02:20 PM)picard1109 Wrote:  Of course, Chill Factor is a must - the director should have been shot for getting all of the actors to overact horribly...but PF in black combat gear running around waving guns is worth putting up with an hysterical Cuba Gooding! And the ice cream scene. Well, just watch it. Thud

I'm scared of Chill Factor. Doesn't PF wear a hair piece in it? That's why I haven't purchased it yet.

Has anyone seen Peter in Band of Gold yet? I think he was in quite a few episodes. I was thinking of buying the box set.

10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
He only wears a hair piece in the beginning. It's a good movie, though I ended up feeling sorry for PF's character in the end, but I don't think you're supposed to.