Old, decrepit and just wrong 10.00% 4 10.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
(05-07-2010 03:09 PM)arctic Wrote:  Maybe the idea was that he put his hand in his pocket to prevent himself from reaching out and taking her hand. The look he gave her at the end of that scene was certainly steamy.

Yeah, I agree. That scene was sort of 'listen to my body language, not what I'm actually saying'. He was definitely not cold towards her, but maybe just trying to keep it together, hence the denial that he was crying. But he was definitely giving her some incredibly tender looks to go along with the denial. Perhaps also the fact that they were at work prevented him from doing anything more open towards her. Oh, for a scene between them away from the office...

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
They are two peas in a pod if you ask me. The ultimate barrier for both of them is that one must take care of ones own emotional baggage before you can give fully to someone else. And what baggage they both have! You either have to fix it or come to peace with it. There has been so much loss for both. If they accept each other, they will also have to accept the possibility that their time could be as limited as their emotional ability to connect on a personal level. I think that look of his at the end of 8.8 is beseeching her to look past his blatant lie to what he is really saying to her. I think her "yes, of course." has a double meaning. "Yes, of course...its the wind." And "Yes, of course...I know what you are really saying to me."

Through the relationship prior to 5.5, I think he spends a lot of time testing her loyalty and trust. This time through, he is proving his. Whether or not Ruth can accept it is still to be determined. They both have to accept a relationship that is flawed and will stay flawed because of their work.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Isn't it peculiar that in the run up to 5.5 it was Harry who was leading the relationship while Ruth kept pulling back, and now it's Ruth who is touchy feely while Harry can't seem to let go. I wonder if Harry was waiting to make sure that Ruth was definitely over George and the young boy.

Harry knows Ruth cares for him because of the kiss on the barge, so it has to be only a matter of time before they get it together. **she says, touching wood!!**
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
(05-07-2010 08:05 PM)Naivety Wrote:  Harry knows Ruth cares for him because of the kiss on the barge, so it has to be only a matter of time before they get it together. **she says, touching wood!!**

Here's hoping, Series 9 really does have to be it for them, things were coming along so nicely towards the end of Series 8 that it would just be odd for them to not have some form of closure on the will they won't they aspect of their relationship.

Also agree about before 5.5 and after, Harry was the instigator; asking her for dinner was the main thing really and the Havensworth corridor eye love he was giving. Now it's Ruth's turn to instigate a relationship between them. After their kiss on the dock, both of them absolutely must know that their feelings are reciprocated.
07-07-2010, 01:56 AM
I'd like to hear what all of you have to say about the scene is 4.5 when Harry tells Ruth that the Op isn't just about Clive or the Book. Do you think that there is something more personal in that statement? Or is he just talking about the fact that the government is killing its own, e.g. the team? Or something else completely?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
07-07-2010, 04:10 AM
I think he was referring to the lack of morality and loyalty exhibited by the people who went after Clive, in that they would choose to kill him rather than try to talk him out of trying to publish the book. I also think Harry agreed with Clive's assessment that the security services were operating under a system of "velvet fascism" and it worried him greatly as it goes against everything H believed. So I guess he had both professional and personal reasons for not wanting to join "the team."

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
07-07-2010, 05:42 AM
(07-07-2010 01:56 AM)A Cousin Wrote:  I'd like to hear what all of you have to say about the scene is 4.5 when Harry tells Ruth that the Op isn't just about Clive or the Book. Do you think that there is something more personal in that statement? Or is he just talking about the fact that the government is killing its own, e.g. the team? Or something else completely?

I tend to think there was something more personal in that statement. He was referring to the fact that he thought they would try to kill Hicks, and that Ruth, as a result of being with Hicks in the safehouse, was therefore in danger too. It's pretty obvious he's worried about Ruth's safety at this point - why else would he ask her to call him once she gets to the safehouse?

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
07-07-2010, 11:04 AM
i think harrys focus there is ruth and her saftey - he and ruth have many secrets! he trusts her at times it appears beoyond all others (perhaps bar ros and adam)

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I think its a bit of both, a lot of the time what Harry says can be ambiguous in its meaning. I agree that he was definately worried about Ruth's safety with her being in close proximity to Hicks, but also Harry does see the bigger picture with the government and probably sees the lack of loyalty that the service and the government have towards each other in some cases.
12-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't mean to be horrible to dear "Roofie" here, but when watching episode 4.6 again, she really did remind me of a "spaniel" in this episode, with Harry being the master. She was trying to protect him from Paul breaking into his office and was always there at Harry's heels when he was vexed about Juliet's behaviour.

There was one strange moment though which only lasted a few seconds at the start of the episode, when Ruth was watching Harry in his office. It looked like Juliet noticed her watching Harry. Ruth's face seemed to show that she didn't like Harry being with Juliet. Perhaps that is why she dashed up to Harry at the pods after and put the boot in, "Witch."

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]