This poll is closed.
The greatest thing since the turbine engine 90.00% 36 90.00%
Old, decrepit and just wrong 10.00% 4 10.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
20-09-2010, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:20 AM by JHyde.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
My take...I think Ruth was saying, don't resign but stay here and we will have our life together here..not retired to the country!
Find all posts by this user
20-09-2010, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:20 AM by JHyde.)
I really hope you are right Yorkshiretyke! Unfortunately I had family talking over half of the episode so I really need to watch again, but your take certainly seems very plausible. Otherwise why would she say it? It would just be rubbing salt in the wounds.
20-09-2010, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:20 AM by JHyde.)
(20-09-2010 10:03 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  My take...I think Ruth was saying, don't resign but stay here and we will have our life together here..not retired to the country!

Aaah, so you are saying, they need to be on the Grid to be together, not living as civilians, retired, as it wouldn't work? Do I have that right? But Harry wants more than work colleagues. That's why he dismissed Ruth a couple of times as she couldn't have it both ways.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
20-09-2010, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:21 AM by JHyde.)
Yes...I don't think it was a no, just a there is no point in you resigning and thinking we can live happily ever after in the country...here is where we belong, together!....I may be wrong, time will certainly tell!
20-09-2010, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:21 AM by JHyde.)
(20-09-2010 09:31 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  So you start with love. You work with love. And you see where love takes you and screw the next door neighbours! We never have ours round for drinks or cosy chats about careers.

Ooh 'er, missus ( as PF might say)! H and R screwing the next door neighbours would make for an interesting plot line, TL... but perhaps something that needs to be shown after the watershed Silba

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
20-09-2010, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:21 AM by JHyde.)
"H and R screwing the next door neighbours" - Picard

Well there's our spin off sorted! Wink I think that Yorkshiretyke may have got it if I'm honest. The episode is up on Iplayer now anyway so I shall be having another look or three!
20-09-2010, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:22 AM by JHyde.)
(20-09-2010 10:14 PM)picard1109 Wrote:  
(20-09-2010 09:31 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  So you start with love. You work with love. And you see where love takes you and screw the next door neighbours! We never have ours round for drinks or cosy chats about careers.

Ooh 'er, missus ( as PF might say)! H and R screwing the next door neighbours would make for an interesting plot line, TL... but perhaps something that needs to be shown after the watershed Silba

LOL. Hells bells, getting H and R to screw "each other" first would be a step in the right direction. Moving on to the neighbours would take another 50 years.
(20-09-2010 10:22 PM)SPOOK91 Wrote:  "H and R screwing the next door neighbours" - Picard

Well there's our spin off sorted! Wink I think that Yorkshiretyke may have got it if I'm honest. The episode is up on Iplayer now anyway so I shall be having another look or three!

Wow, I'm off there too with another beer.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
20-09-2010, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:22 AM by JHyde.)
Harry RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
Wow and more wow! I loved the proposal, sooo Harry and Ruth! Felt gutted for Harry as let's face it, it has taken him 8 series to get to this point. I am going to be brave and 'stick my neck out' by saying that I think that Harry and Ruth will end up together. The basis for this being a comment made by Peter Firth in one of the many magazine articles where he mentioned that Harry would propse and that Ruth would decline the offer of marriage. PF commented that "it is a practical proposal" and "not really a romantic one" - PF did go on to say something like Harry is a romantic fella but we have not seen it.....just yet anyway...

I am going to keep the faith and put it down to the stresses of the job and apparently "bad timing". Perhaps when Sir Harry feels a bit 'cleaner' he might ask Ruth again.

Note to Ruth: Don't think, just get with him lovely!

By the way:

Old Home Secretary: "How did you find out?"
Sir Harry: "Ruth"
Old Home Secretary: "That dogged brilliant bitch"

Pure genius.
21-09-2010, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:22 AM by JHyde.)
(20-09-2010 10:14 PM)yorkshiretyke Wrote:  Yes...I don't think it was a no, just a there is no point in you resigning and thinking we can live happily ever after in the country...here is where we belong, together!....I may be wrong, time will certainly tell!

OK - so armed with another glass of "highly quaffable" scotch I would just like to say that Yorkshiretyke, I think you are spot on. I just came over here to say the same thing! And If I may add that Ruth is also saying that their relationship is defined by their work together. She should know, she's had it (in Cyprus) and it wasn't working for her. If it was, she'd have actually married George. It harkens back to her saying that she is her job and him asking those who are lucky enough to make it to retirement, "What will you do?"

I loved the whole thing - no meringue. The last thing I want is for the "dogged brilliant bitch" to be a lap dog to Harry. I am glad that they are addressing the idea that he has a whole lot of operatives deaths on his conscience.

And I will go out on a limb and predict that I think Ruth is going to be sufficiently concerned about his ability to hold it together and make the decisions he has to make that she is going to be forced to drastic measures at some point, for his sake and the sake of the country.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
21-09-2010, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:24 AM by JHyde.)
(20-09-2010 11:16 PM)Sir Harry Wrote:  Old Home Secretary: "How did you find out?"
Sir Harry: "Ruth"
Old Home Secretary: "That dogged brilliant bitch"

Pure genius.
The thought that popped into my head when he said that was "Ill fitting words spoken by a man who truly had nothing to show for himself." Though I imagine if it was from Harry, it would be more eloquent.

[Image: S9T.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user