Old, decrepit and just wrong 10.00% 4 10.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
21-09-2010, 02:44 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
(21-09-2010 02:32 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I am probably just being silly here but you don't think they would do something with Beth and Harry. I mean, Harry on the rebound type thing, Beth trying to get on in MI5. If Harry is in the midst of some mid-life crisis and feels all is lost with Ruth? I just have a feeling. As I say, probably being silly. The age gap is huge.

I sensed something too TL. Watch Ruth in the background when Harry calls Beth back for her expertise. I hope they don't go the wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am route though but there is something in the history. He remembers her from her training, that is certain, but I think it will extend further than just her having a reputation for being cocky. ("Ouch!" LOL!)

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
21-09-2010, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 04:01 PM by yorkshiretyke.)
Series 9 Spoiler: show
following on from that tea lady, in the trailer for next week it shows Harry on the phone, we all assumed he was talking to Ruth...could it be Beth?

Ignore my last comment, I have just read Ian Wylie's blog..
21-09-2010, 04:42 PM
(21-09-2010 11:34 AM)Tea Lady Wrote:  But why are they freezing it then? What is the point of the interaction in series 8, if they are just going to freeze it in the next series. Surely this could all have been done in series 8, without perhaps the marriage proposal.

Maybe because they realised the show might still have a couple of seasons in it, and they don't want to have to sustain an HR relationship for that long?

(21-09-2010 02:32 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  I am probably just being silly here but you don't think they would do something with Beth and Harry. I mean, Harry on the rebound type thing, Beth trying to get on in MI5. If Harry is in the midst of some mid-life crisis and feels all is lost with Ruth? I just have a feeling. As I say, probably being silly. The age gap is huge.

No, I didn't get that vibe you guys did. Besides, Sophia Myles said in an interview she could envision Beth's relationship with Harry develop into a father/daughter type one, which I don't think she would have said if Beth got to do the dirty with Harry.

I do hope they have something up their sleeve, but I'm beginning to worry it'll be something nasty...

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
21-09-2010, 04:47 PM
(21-09-2010 04:42 PM)Silktie Wrote:  No, I didn't get that vibe you guys did. Besides, Sophia Myles said in an interview she could envision Beth's relationship with Harry develop into a father/daughter type one, which I don't think she would have said if Beth got to do the dirty with Harry.

I don't think it will be sexual. But they have already pointed out the parallel between the two characters and their desire to get "clean." Maybe what we will see is the contrast between how they each choose to go through that process?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
21-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Maybe. Things will certainly be interesting with Beth sharing a flat with Ruth. She's already shown that she's a straight talker, so maybe we should take bets on how long it'll take her to ask Ruth what the deal between her and Harry is. Tongue

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
21-09-2010, 05:17 PM
can not at all see H/B.. neither is the type.
Whatever (midlife) crisis Harry is going through at, even after Ruth's refusal he would not take refuge or seek distraction in a relationship that can only be sexual..
And Beth is too much trying to impress him and show him that she's turned a corner too try and come on to him.
Beth & Ruth though (not implying a sexual thing here Tongue) will be an interesting relationship to see. they're very much different, can't wait to find out what they have in common.

[Image: s9-sig.jpg]
21-09-2010, 08:54 PM
The script writers had to do something to keep the angst going, because that is what hooks us all into the H/R relationship. If they had gone down the 'yes' option then critics of the show would have said the show had gone fluffy. But similarly if they hadn't moved it on a notch then it would have become monotonous and stale. By declaring Harry's feelings we are now in no doubt how they feel about each other, but they keep the 'will they/won't they' suspense going. Here we all are, still wondering if they are going to progress. I think they will.

Two things I find intriguing:
1. Who said anything about cosy suburban bungalows in Sussex? How come they couldn't get married and continue working for MI5?
2. Putting Beth as a flatmate for Ruth has to be a something to do with future scripts, otherwise what's the point?
21-09-2010, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 10:47 PM by Beatriz.)
I agree with JHyde and A Cousin, I loved how they've dealt with HR relationship. I didn't want to see something I didn't buy. It was all so heart breaking. I think they are still making progress, their way.

"We couldn't be more together than we are right now" I think what Ruth means is that they are closer than never (that made me cry) and she also says "We'd have to hide it away" I think she meant if they were to go down the path they didn't follow back in the day. Now they must try and find a way, a different way.

I don't think they will go for Beth being the rebound girl. I will hate the writers for that. I think they are investing in HR future.

(20-09-2010 09:55 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  
(20-09-2010 09:50 PM)SPOOK91 Wrote:  I think that there will be something and that she was right to refuse him. But oh that whisper in her ear. Lovely...

I think I almost died when he moved over towards her ear...oh lord !!

OMG!!! Me too, that was...WOW AMAZING!! I don't know how Ruth could say no! (don't get me wrong I liked the outcome but OH DEAR!) It gave me goose pumps. He was so sweet... Heart

Harry broke my heart in this episode.

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
22-09-2010, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2010 08:01 AM by JHyde.)
My sister and I did have a giggle about Beth and Harry. Mostly because PF likes the 'pretty girls' on set and Myles is lovely looking.

But I think it will just translate into some terrific chemistry. Not sexual chemistry, I mean the same sort of rapport that Harry and Ros had, because PF and HN got on terrifically off screen.

I am loving that regular posters and fans of HR seem split on this, it should make for some lively discussions on this thread over the next few weeks. Given that we are sometimes accused of being a bit one track on this thread, I'm really glad for the new material.

New people, feel free to jump in. No one seems to have reacted exactly the same way.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
22-09-2010, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2010 08:07 AM by Tea Lady.)
(21-09-2010 04:42 PM)Silktie Wrote:  I do hope they have something up their sleeve, but I'm beginning to worry it'll be something nasty...

Silktie, this is what I am chewing over in bed when I lie awake at 3am Tongue
All this parking their relationship thing, I don't buy it. I see what people are saying, in that if Spooks was coming to an end this season, we would probably have a different story line. But when have they ever really parked their relationship, when both Harry and Ruth have been in the show? Even after their dinner date and Ruth's refusal, we all thought it was parked. Then after Havensworth and Ruths refusal for a late night tete ta tete, we all thought it was parked again. Mmmmm, I have a feeling they are going to do something with Ruth in this series and we are not going to like it. The only thing that gives me warmth is that I DO believe Ruth really does love Harry.
(21-09-2010 08:54 PM)Naivety Wrote:  Two things I find intriguing:
1. Who said anything about cosy suburban bungalows in Sussex? How come they couldn't get married and continue working for MI5?

Yes, I couldn't quite understand why Ruth didn't suggest an alternative to marriage. Perhaps something slower, more casual. I am sure Harry would have gone for that. Gone for anything that she offered him.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]