Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(06-01-2011 04:11 PM)lottanyman Wrote:  At least one time in series 2, don't know which episode exactly though I've only recently rewatched it.
It's when there is this boy burglar steeling a case with important documents from Harry's house.
I think it's also the only episode ever where we see him wearing quite casual clothes in the office - a shirt with a jumper - and I've already wondered if there was a special occasion for him to do so as he never ever again wore something like that on the Grid.

Cleanskin. One of my favorite episodes. I keep wanting JJ to show up as a new recruit. I may be wrong about this but it may be the first time we see Harry as a fallible human being screw something up. I love how Ruth is oh so very judgmental of Harry for taking work home. I too always have a bit of a huh? moment with the costuming department because I don't really understand why he is in the jumper other than to just put him in something different? Maybe they were trying to indicate that Harry was not in full work mode thus his mistake of taking the briefcase home? I still think Harry would dress for work not matter what.

Without re-watching just to document when Harry is tie-less or in shirt-sleeves, I think Kudos uses that visual rather well as a subliminal cue that Harry is in Ordinary Bloke mode from S2 on. The first time I was aware of it was in 2.6: Without Incident when Harry takes his tux tie off. It may have begun by accident or because PF just wanted to get out of a tie for a few moments, but it evolved. Skip to S5 where they use it to the hilt. He is tie-less and unbuttoned on the date. Then, as JHyde mentions, Havensworth where it is a bit less subtly used. And finally, good old 5.5 at Ruth's flat and at the docks. There is plenty of fodder for the image.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 06-01-2011 05:48 PM