Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch]
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
RE: Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch]
The leftie in me really likes the political statement in this ep -- trampling civil liberties is no way to protect them! Loved the "mistaken identity" plot device, which is still very much an issue today (big article in today's Washington Post about a woman who's name is very like someone on the "no fly" list and she gets stopped every time she tries to board a plane). Also lots of spy stuff in this ep -- face matching, CCTV surveillance, trailing suspects, bugging rooms, etc.

Great performance by Jimi Mistry as Malik -- you really felt the poor guy's dilemma, being squeezed from both ends and used as a political football by both sides. Was really impressed by Zaf in this ep -- he was damned if he was going to shoot Malik, even after Harry ordered him to, twice: "I didn't join this service to shoot innocent people."

I was a little put off by Fiona's, "This is great, almost makes me believe in civil liberties" line -- I found her cynicism somewhat unbelievable. Loved Harry asking Ruth to "acquire" the missing Special Branch report, knowing that she might have to do something dodgy to get it -- he really does trust her.

This is as close to a happy ending as I can ever recall in spooks -- Malik and his family are saved and a safe future provided for them, the bad guys are killed, the assassination is thwarted, Zaf doesn't have to shoot, and Harry gets a win against both Juliet and Paul Seymour.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
RE: Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 11-07-2010 06:50 PM
RE: Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM