Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch]
13-07-2010, 03:25 PM
RE: Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch]
(12-07-2010 05:52 PM)Silktie Wrote:  It is great to see a show that addresses the consequences of the new homeland security legislation we have in many countries after 9/11. It is such a difficult balancing act to ensure that the country is kept safe, but also to ensure that innocent people aren't caught up in it, as happens here.

And to make sure that "we" don't create our own monsters! Seymour certainly did that with Malik. This is a very real worry. Think about GitMo.

There are three very nicely intertwined plots going on here: Zaf/Malik, Jo's first day, and Harry taking down yet another corrupt politician. The plot is propelled by assumptions on the part of, well, everyone. Since we find out the truth with the team, we are left assuming that the info they have is true.

Malik is such an excruciatingly sympathetic character. No wonder he is so disillusioned and bitter. Malik is an innocent in more ways than being innocent of the crime he was sent to jail for, he is an innocent in the ways for the government and the ways of terrorists. He trusts that his family will be released if he follows through. I think that's actually naive. Zaf could easily go the way of cyncism, but he refuses in the end despite pressure from both Harry and Adam to shoot Malik. This is one of the few episode that tears me up. I'm admittedly a push over, after that incredibly shot shoot out ("No bullets over four feet. There's kid in there."), the shot of Zaf holding the gun and the phone out at the same time, and your eye goes to the phone with the kids voice coming through gets to me.

It is an interesting Juliet episode as well. She is right when she says that the consequences will be worse if they admit that that are/were wrong. Adams line: "We're spooks, Harry, not philosophers." says it all. I like Adam standing up to Harry's moral indignation. Harry can lose the plot when he is like that.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
RE: Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM
RE: Episode 6 Discussion [rewatch] - A Cousin - 13-07-2010 03:25 PM