Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
25-07-2010, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2010 07:46 PM by Tea Lady.)
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
Watch and discuss.
I do enjoy watching this episode. George Baker is great as Hugo and his onscreen chemistry with Harry. Hugo is an idealist and spends 30 years in jail for his beliefs. When he comes out he is not bitter and jail has not changed him at all. He still cares very little about all the British agents he sold out. Harry seems to accept, that was part of the Cold War, but Zaf is a little less forgiving probably because he was not in service at the time.

I am a little surprised in this episode that Juliet went along with an operation that flew in the face of a direct order from Downing Street. She also did not change sides when she and Harry were stitched up at the end, to her credit. Very unlike Juliet I thought considering her career was totally on the line.

I couldn't quite fathom why Harry was in such a strange mood this episode either. He shouted at Ruth a couple of times and even raised his voice to Malcolm when he screwed up the spike. He was quite patronising to Ruth when he told her that in this job they do not have friends, and before she could answer, he put his head phones on quite dismissively. Also when she was smiling at him at the end when he took Adam back, his face was like stone. But then he told Adam that he WAS his friend. Confusing! It didn't quite make sense to me. Maybe he was trying to put some distance between him and Ruth after what had just happened to Fiona.

Loved Malcolm in the obs van still wearing his suit and tie and also Adam calling Harry a fox. I did notice that Adam was reading Mansfied Park. Do you have to be an Austen fan to work in Section D?

I felt quite sad at the end when Hugo "died." Did he deserve it? Probably not. He was totally loyal to Russia. I guess Russia had changed so much since he was sent to jail though. 30 years is a long time.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - Tea Lady - 25-07-2010 07:28 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 26-07-2010, 04:25 AM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 27-07-2010, 09:10 AM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 27-07-2010, 02:03 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 29-07-2010, 06:03 AM