Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
16-01-2011, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2011 03:51 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(16-01-2011 02:40 PM)Byatil Wrote:  
(16-01-2011 02:25 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  But then again Ruth has always taken in every detail, which Harry doesn't always have time for, while Ruth focuses on the small details Harry always looks at the bigger picture, and when sometimes Ruth finds information that doesn't seem important, Harry would dimiss it, but that only really affects the professional relationship,

That's an interesting point! Harry approaches things very logically, whereas Ruth tends to let emotions cloud her judgement slightly.

Well, I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing that Ruth's emotions rule her judgment sometimes. I think that is the element of "instinct" that they refer to a lot. They must just follow their guts sometimes.

I really like the observation that Ruth is detail oriented and Harry is big picture oriented. That is their job and their personalities. The nature of their working relationship has shifted in S9 - she is more cut and dried logical and he is being more emotional. If it was hard enough for them to come to terms with the nature of their relationship before, in S9 they have had to renegotiate it. You'd think it would help them meet in the middle but that hasn't seemed to have happened has it?
(16-01-2011 06:55 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Re Ruth deciding to be selfish or not:
The question she must decide for herself is perhaps more whether it will really be a selfish action to allow herself to love Harry. Why is it necessarily seen as a selfish action? To be selfish entails choosing to do something that is to your own advantage, and will disadvantage others. Who, exactly, will be disadvantaged if she allows herself to love Harry?

I think that Ruth thinks that national security will be at risk if she allows herself to love Harry. After many years of asking that very question (4.9), he has proven that she is the line he will not cross. At least that is how it will appear to Ruth until she knows that Albany was a fake.

I just noticed that this post takes this thread to 51 pages. I assume it will be closed for a new HR thread? How about Harry & Ruth - neither the twain shall meet? Wink

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 16-01-2011 03:43 PM