Poll: Will Harry survive the show?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
27-10-2011, 06:32 AM
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
(26-10-2011 06:16 PM)Gillymac Wrote:  
(26-10-2011 03:58 PM)beatrice4ruth Wrote:  Harry did want to retire, not because of Ruth, but because he was burned out and was making serious mistakes of judgment.

Yes, but remember, he expressed this wish BEFORE he discovered that the Elena/Sasha secret he had carried in his heart for 30 years and had been eating him up inside was exposed as a LIE. Ruth set him free from his guilt regarding this, when she answered Elena's question; "He's given more than I ever thought possible". Ruth FORGAVE Harry, thus allowing Harry to forgive himself and once again believe in the career he has dedicated his life to.

She also absolved him of his guilt, regarding herself (and presumably George & Nico too) on the clifftop, but remember that her offer had an important caveat; "leave the service - with me". I.E. Don't leave the service without me. Do you honestly believe Ruth would have wanted Harry cut adrift from the only life he'd ever known, his friends, his colleagues, the only support network he has, to wander the earth in impotent grief? I certainly don't and I'm not even a particular Ruth fan, but I do think better of her than that.

Someone on twitter called her "Ruth the truth" which made me laughSmile. But it's a fair point actually, in terms of cornerstones of character. Ruth always tells the truth. I know a lot of people are down on the writers, but perhaps it's worth paying attention to the words they've put into the characters mouths here. "Ruth the truth" has never been more worthy of that nickname when she says; "Harry, we were never meant to have any of those things". And with that, she ultimately sets Harry free to grieve, re-group and get back to business. Dammit, she is practically ordering him to!

*Last paragraph moved to the S10Ep6 thread, where it was more relevant*

Some excellent points there. I hadn't really looked at the scenes in that context but they really make sense, especially the stuff around Ruth wanting that for him. Even after the first viewing when I was watching through blurred vision it made complete sense for me for Harry to go back to the Grid. Yes, in another ending I think he'd have been happy with Ruth and leaving the service with her and forging a life away from MI5 together; but lets not forget, during his 'time off' over the Albany affair he was so bored he 'nearly took up gardening'! He needs a purpose and now that Ruth has gone, MI5 and serving the country is what he has left!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3) - Sparky - 27-10-2011 06:32 AM