Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5.9 [re-watch]
21-02-2011, 02:41 PM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch]
Oooh... thanks for the heads up JHyde. I really like it when Katie Swindon does the audio commentary. She always has some really great things to say about how the script developed, what they thought of doing, why they didn't do it, and she's funny, etc. Isn't she usually script editor?

I think this is the episode that got me fully back on board after grieving over Ruth. It is first one after that that I really remember. Sad, I know, but there it is! Blush

This is also Julian Holmes as director who, interesting (to me anyway), we don't see again as director until 9.5 and 9.6. I really like his touch as a director. His (and his teams camera work) is interesting but not intrusive. He doesn't bitch slap me with cinematic symbolism. In particular, I like the way he handles Adam's PTSD. He doesn't fall back on crazy camera tricks to convey the depth of Adam's PTSD. He places the viewer in the POV of the character on the receiving end of Adam's PTSD, e.g. the officer that doesn't know anything (is that Andrew Faulkes?), Dempsey on the bench, even Zaf & Jo. He really lets RPJ's acting guide it and its fantastic!

As for the script, this is one I have to see several times more to really follow it in its entirety. Each character, including the viewer, has a different level of knowledge of the situation that changes over the course of the episode. I have a hard time following that. But that's half the fun. I'll be rewatching it tonight with commentary.

Although Zaf doesn't have much to do, IMO, he has the best lines of the episode in answer to Adam's "Where's Harry?", "Moving in mysterious ways."

Ros is still out there doing her own thing. The idea that she is willing to give that much of her blood indicates her dedication to the job. Her reaction when Harry tells her Grecic's blood group is priceless Ros! I agree the doctors wife was much more interesting than the doctor himself. Frankly, I think it would have been more interesting if she were the old flame! But I guess that is not very main stream.

Harry's "gotcha" of his counter-part of Vauxhall Cross is a little bit old hat, but always fun to watch.

All in all, one of the best going.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
5.9 [re-watch] - JHyde - 20-02-2011, 08:22 AM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch] - Silktie - 21-02-2011, 06:02 AM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch] - JHyde - 21-02-2011, 07:14 AM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 21-02-2011 02:41 PM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch] - HellsBells - 21-02-2011, 03:43 PM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch] - JHyde - 22-02-2011, 07:30 AM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 22-02-2011, 02:43 PM
RE: 5.9 [re-watch] - Silktie - 22-02-2011, 03:44 PM