Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
7.7 [re-watch]
09-07-2011, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 01:37 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: 7.7 [re-watch]
I agree Sparky, it's a great episode. Possibly one of the best ever. They kept it simple and clean. It hangs together really well. Which might be why the very few critical things I have to say about it really stand out for me. But I'll start with what I really like.

The filming of Harry's interrogation (torture?) could very easily gone waaaay OTT. PF really held it together. As an actor, he has a really good sense of balance in these things. We also get some glimpses into Harry's deep, dark past. Starting with Maria. Clearly they had a deep, not exclusively professional but possibly unrequited relationship? I would like to know more about that but it served it's purpose. I get the feeling that he may have been a honey trap at some point? Or maybe it just happened? It kind of ties in with Grady's "personal touch" using Harry's failure as a father to Graham against him in his interrogation.

Ben's death is gruesome. Good work on the part of the make-up department. However, I can't say I was sorry to see him go. (Horrible thing to say! Blush) That character just never blossomed for me. At least he went as a good plot device. Gemma Jones is very creepy in that scene.

There were a couple of niggling things that I do not understand or didn't like.

I don't fully understand, but just kind of go with, why Harry sends Lucas and not someone else to Russia? Is it a test of Lucas' loyalty? Is Lucas his only choice? I would have liked a bit clearer explanation about that. Interesting that Harry apologizes to Lucas for asking it of him. As well he should. It is placing Lucas back into serious danger. I suppose Lucas does it because he is still trying to prove his loyalty? To get Harry's approval? Because his boss says so? Because he kind of gets off on the risk? He misses his favorite strip club? (OK - that last one is a joke. Wink) Perhaps all of the above.

And while I'm on the subject, why in the name of all that's holy would Lucas stop to make a phone call while he's still in the strip club?!? Seems a bit rash. Sure the Grid needed to know that Connie was the mole as quickly as possible, but a few more minutes to at least get himself clear of the building would have been a good thing to do. I dunno. It's proof to me that Lucas' risk to consequence ratio is skewed.

I really hate Connie's hiss at Harry. It makes me roll my eyes - and not in a good way. I gave it a second chance and I still rolled my eyes. I may be in the minority here. It's unnecessary and one step too far for me. Sometimes, those who know the plot and characters inside out take it one step too far because they aren't sure it is clear to the viewers. That hiss feels like one of those things that just happens in a rehearsal and the director should have said, "That's hilarious! Cut it."

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
7.7 [re-watch] - JHyde - 03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
RE: 7.7 [re-watch] - Sparky - 09-07-2011, 03:28 AM
RE: 7.7 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 09-07-2011 01:30 PM
RE: 7.7 [re-watch] - JHyde - 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM
RE: 7.7 [re-watch] - Silktie - 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
RE: 7.7 [re-watch] - JHyde - 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
RE: 7.7 [re-watch] - Silktie - 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
RE: 7.7 [re-watch] - Noam - 23-02-2012, 11:43 AM