Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 3 Discussion
07-10-2011, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 01:41 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: Series 10 - Episode 3 Discussion
(07-10-2011 05:16 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I think it was more that Natalie had the right combination of circumstances - she was clearly lonely and fragile among other things.

I hasten to add that being lonely and fragile aren't prerequisites for jumping into bed with someone quickly and I'm not passing judgement on Natalie at all. But I do think she was susceptible to Dimitri's charms and the approach made sense under those circumstances.

I also think that it was no casting accident that Natalie and Elena both have red hair. This may have been mentioned by someone already, but upon re-watch of this episode I wonder if there was supposed to be a parallel drawn between Dimitri/Natalie and Harry/Elena? (e.g. Did Harry make the mistake of falling for for honey trap target?) As well as Natalie/Johnny and Elena/Ilya? (e.g. their primary male in their life are kind of psychopathic but passionate about their cause?) If so, I missed it upon first viewing. What at first felt separate now feels very connected to me.

In addition, the Dimitri/Natalie scenes have always felt distinctly reminiscent to me. It doesn't look like Julian Holmes put a sepia wash on everything per se but the lighting is very yellow/brown, as if they were pointing to something in the past.

If they are connecting all the threats of the week to the main motif like that, I think it is an incredibly cool writing device!

As far as the honey-trap is concerned, Calum says that they bumped Dimitri's profile to the top of Natalie's match list. So they stacked the deck in his favor a bit.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 3 Discussion - Nitrus - 30-09-2011, 07:15 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 3 Discussion - A Cousin - 07-10-2011 01:26 PM