Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch]
18-01-2010, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2010 08:00 PM by lwhite53.)
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch]
I liked this ep, not so much for the supposed intent -- the siege -- but because we learn a lot more about the spooks crew.

Even though he's the "villain" of the piece, I liked Johnny Marks. Thought his whole thing of using the Kurds to divert attention from his real game -- getting the service's money and the names of the agents -- was brilliant. And he's the first in what will be a long line of officers/ex-officers going rogue, so he's setting the bench mark, in a way. And the politics of his explanation is overt: "I'm not done yet. You see, you created me, you trained me, manipulated me. Just like the west manipulate entire countries and then act so shocked when they turn around and rip off the hand that fed them." Think Afghanistan and Bin Laden when the west helped arm them in the fight against Russia. Or Iran and the Shah against the fundamentalists. Johnny Marks metaphorically becomes the terrorist he's been trained to destroy -- love that image.

Also love the history between Marks and Harry -- HP mistakenly killed his brother, so this is also personal, as it is for him with Tessa. What happened to all the people Marks believed in and trusted? They tried to manipulate him, so he "rips off the hand that fed him." Great parallels in the writing.

But there is also sincerity and honor:
HP: How do I know that I can trust you?
JM: Because I have never broken my word.
And, he leaves the disk of names with Tessa.

The only reference to Helen's death is Harry and Danny, clearing out her desk and their computer files. Poignant moments with Danny going through her stuff (the McDonald's toys she collects for family) and Harry deleting her file (DECEASED in red). And both specifically not talking about it. But the look on H's face says it all.

Harry asking for permission (from DG?) to call the bank owner (Roger) -- may be first and last time we see him ask anybody for permission to do anything! LOL.

Also, Harry yelling at Tessa for coming into office without knocking -- funny bit that carries throughout the show.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 17-01-2010, 12:46 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - almh - 17-01-2010, 07:46 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 18-01-2010 07:59 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 20-01-2010, 02:12 AM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 20-01-2010, 11:48 AM