Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
18-01-2010, 08:40 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
Interesting to have back-to-back eps involving officers/ex-officers going rogue, and by two different writers. Hard to imagine why?

Salter was less likeable, imo, than Marks and he seemed weaker than Marks -- he was just tired of it all because "No one believes in anything anymore." It seemed to me as if he was trying to create some excitement for himself, almost as if he was playing a game: "I am the thing the security service fears the most. The guy who goes through Traitor's Gate willingly and embraces everything he's been trained to destroy." He appears to love Andrea but I think that's all part of his effort to try and feel something, anything, again. And when he realizes that he's failed, he hangs himself. Would have been better off going out and buying a red sports car.

I liked the juxtaposition of Tom telling Ellie he's a spy with Peter telling Andrea he's not who she thought he was -- nice bit of parallel writing.

The great Tom reveal . . . and he's surprisingly uninvolved in it all! Very detached and unemotional, matter of fact, refusing to help her deal with what he's said. Almost dissociative. Then he gets angry with her because she needs more info than he's willing to give -- very strange reaction.Confused Almost as if he's anticipating her leaving and he's separating emotionally before she drops the bomb.

Ellie: Everything flows from "Can I trust you"? -- great line!!!

LOVED Jools Siviter -- great character, well acted by Hugh Laurie, comic relief that comes with a dangerous, ruthless edge. And so utterly British, of a certain class -- just a wonderful addition and a great foil to Harry.

The patter between Zoe and Danny in the car while on stakeout was proceless -- Earl gray tea bags and marriage, etc.

Zoe and Tessa and the phantom agents -- how do they work together now? Zoe has something on Tessa -- can she/will she act on it? Will she tell Harry? Will she join Tessa and wind up with a flat she can't really afford? Who's got the upper hand in the relationship now?

I really liked Harry in this ep -- we saw him angry, suspicious, commanding, dangerous and uncertain. Also, we saw him covering for one of his officers, which may be why they all willingly put up with his bullshit! Got a much better idea of H and the many facets of that character.

I loved H's line "What do you want, my tongue down your throat?" so much I'm gonna' add it to my sig.Wink

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 17-01-2010, 12:49 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 18-01-2010 08:40 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 18-01-2010, 11:47 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 19-01-2010, 12:03 AM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 19-01-2010, 10:49 AM