Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch]
14-02-2010, 02:58 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch]
This really is a brilliant episode, and one where all the guest actors deliver terrific, believable performances. There are so many things I loved, I'll list them:
- The opening with Ruth listing all the threats and then saying "Good morning world". Great opening, and also a slight of hand with the fact that everyone made a lot of the guy caught selling info about the nuclear station, and nothing said about the Patmos group.
- Malcolm bemoaning the fact that nothing works as it should throughout the episode, he was truly hilarious. And also, him classifying anything that goes wrong as 'technical'.
- Ruth breaking down whilst giving the VX briefing, and Harry taking pity on her.
- Harry's look when Colin mentions the water in the loos. Perfectly played. And also Malcolm later saying that he saw Harry going to the loo, hee!
- Harry still finding time to be snide towards anyone who doesn't know all the technical terms throughout the episode - "Let's all slide along the learning curve", indeed!
- The actress who played Steph was brilliant.
- Loved the fact that Harry was quoting St. Paul when he pretended to be dying.
- Ruth's empathy for Harry and saying to Tom that it was a terrible decision to leave him dying alone in his office. The discussion between Tom and Ruth just after finding Harry was brilliant - poor Tom is at the end of his tether and Ruth is basically telling him to suck it up and be the leader he's supposed to be.
- Colin giving Danny the finger was hilarious.
- Everyone's reactions when the lights come back on was really good. Especially loved the little look Harry gives Tom when he's waiting for him to hand him the gun. And then Malcolm's attempt at a smile when everyone starts clapping, so funny.
- Loved Harry's laugh and hug for Zoe.
- Vicky is a tool, and up there with the most annoying characters ever on Spooks. What the hell does Tom see in this woman?

It's interesting to see how Ruth's resolve grows through this episode. She starts off by breaking down during the briefing, but then just grows stronger the longer the crisis goes on. In the end she is helping propping up Tom and ensuring that everyone else does what they have to do. Of all the people on the Grid, I think we learn most about Ruth's abilities during this episode, and that even though she is compassionate, she doesn't question the hard decisions Tom has to make like sending Steph to her death because she understands that there is no other option.

To me, this is also the episode where Tom's cracks start to appear. He does what is necessary, but at great personal cost. At the end, when everyone is relieved and laughing Tom still cannot let it go, and remains as coiled as a spring. It is also perhaps the start of the rift that will come between Tom and Harry, and Harry seems to sense this by the look he gives Tom as they're all leaving.

Lastly, if I were Tom I probably would have shot Harry at the end. Ruth's "you bastard" was indeed earned.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 13-02-2010, 11:45 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - Aria - 14-02-2010, 12:28 AM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - Silktie - 14-02-2010 02:58 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 14-02-2010, 03:18 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 14-02-2010, 10:10 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 16-02-2010, 04:44 AM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 17-02-2010, 07:03 AM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - Fred - 25-09-2010, 09:33 AM