Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch]
14-02-2010, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2010 09:17 PM by lwhite53.)
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch]
I agree with those of you who rate this as one of their favorite eps -- I do, too, because the question it asks, "What does leadership really ask of the leader himself?," is a universal one. The ep speaks as much about Harry's role in the show (even though he doesn't feature much in the ep) as it does about Tom's ability to cope with what's thrown at him.

Things I enjoyed:
-Opening sequence with Ruth doing the weekly terrorist assessment report and how Patmos was thrown in, almost inconsequentially.
-The first scene with Tom and Dr. Vicky -- I think he's finally figured out she's crazy!
-Colin setting up the barge trip, and Sam deciding to go once Danny is in.
-Malcom bitching about the lack of maintenance in the building. He really doesn't cope well when things don't work as they should. Seems to me he's in the wrong job!
-Ruth deciding, after everyone else is flummoxed about what is really happening, to check the telly. CNN (or BBC) to the rescue!!
-Malcolm's line about VX, "One sweet weapon." Everyone looks at him like he's crazy.
-Tom to Malcolm and Colin. "Invent something." Great line!

I loved the slowly developing sense of panic and doom that gets progressively worse throughout the ep. In tandem, the pressure on Tom grows proportionally. Thought this was well plotted and worked well.

Once T knows that Harry is infected, T's sense of isolation is apparent -- all of a sudden, the security of the country rests on his shoulders and he realizes what a lonely feeling that is:
Tom: "I'm meant to be EMEX officer and I don't know what to do."
Ruth: "We're the troops, you're the leader. Leaders don't have feelings, as you well know." (Wonder who she's referring to here! Wink)

Also loved Ruth's moment: "I never realized I'm just my job. Without it, I go completely to pieces. . . . I'm happy with that." A stunning admission but also a genuine acceptance of who she is.

The highlight of the ep, for me, was the shooting scene:
Mark: "What are you going to do, Tom? You going to shoot a fellow officer in Thames House?"
Tom: "If needs be, yes." [Echoes H's frequent line, "needs must."]
Then Tom shoots. What an extraordinary toll the service takes on its officers! Truly a heart-breaking moment, imo.

The looks between Harry and Tom when it's all over are interesting -- H trying to assess what this has done to T and T angry? upset?disappointed? with H. It's very hard to tell what is going on in T's mind but there's no doubt that this ep has somehow shifted their relationship.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 13-02-2010, 11:45 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - Aria - 14-02-2010, 12:28 AM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 14-02-2010, 03:18 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 14-02-2010 09:12 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 14-02-2010, 10:10 PM