Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 9 Discussion [Rewatch]
14-03-2010, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2010 08:35 PM by JHyde.)
RE: Episode 9 Discussion [Rewatch]
This for me is one of the most tragic stories in all of Spooks in terms of 'the person caught up in events', because of a relationship or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The lamb to the slaughter, if you will. This was the first time this storyline really played out on the show and it has been done since with success, but there is a brutality to this storyline that is very personal, whether it's Tessa playing games with Harry, Mariella being used against Rafa, or Tom and Harry going balls out. Definitely not a friendly hand from Harry, more a warning to a comrade. MM and PF are wonderful in that conference room scene, really great.

I think Harry was drinking at the end because he was despondent about Tessa 'beating' him, part of which was losing Mariella. He wasn't immune to the tragedy of it, but it was part of a bigger picture for him, I suspect.

I think this episode is a great mix of the personal and the professional as well as giving background on missions and threats. In terms of a rewatch, it is probably the most successful for me from Season 2. Episode 5, while very powerful the first time you see it, loses quite a lot I think in subsequent viewings.

'The bar is open' still cracks me up. Even though what Tessa did was terrible, it's also kinda funny in that moment and that's the closest to comic relief that the episode comes.

I've probably forgotten stuff so I may well be back.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 9 Discussion [Rewatch] - Tea Lady - 14-03-2010, 02:42 PM
RE: Episode 9 Discussion [Rewatch] - JHyde - 14-03-2010 08:34 PM
RE: Episode 9 Discussion [Rewatch] - Nia M - 14-03-2010, 11:16 PM