Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
21-07-2010, 03:23 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
Simply put, this episode is an excuse to write out Fiona. They may have sacrificed plausibility of detail. I have always wondered if Fiona was created with this sort end in mind (and Adam's subsequent disintegration) or if it was dreamt up when it was agreed that OS was going to leave the show.

Maybe I am just muddled as I so often am, but the big question in my mind is why was Farook not hanged? Clearly he was supposed to be and he wouldn't have been a friend of the Syrian government unless they didn't believe Adam's set up. Which I guess is possible, but in that case why would he be on the run? I guess he escaped?

I liked Fiona. I was sorry to see her go. I liked the character, the exploration of spooks with a family plots, the actress, and I thought there was some really good chemistry between OS and RPJ. This episode was the most development we get for Fiona. I think her actions in this episode are motivated by guilt and the misguided desire to "protect" Adam and avenge her friends. I think she knew she may not make it out alive.

The general structure of the episode is compelling. I liked the parallel plots until at minute 50 the boulder starts rolling uncontrollably down the hill until it smashes directly into Adam and Fiona.

I like the Coffee Op banter with Malcolm, Colin and Adam. It sounded slightly improvised to me.

On a macbre note, the makeup on Adam during the torture scenes in the beginning is great and I love how the blood spurts out of Farooks shoulder onto the wall after Fiona stabs him? Nice touch.

And because I can't join this discussion without adding something about Harry and Ruth, there is a great look from Harry to Ruth when he is on the phone to Adam and refusing to give him the info he needs because of embassy protocols. At that moment Harry has to make a decision between the professional and the personal. Just after he glances at Ruth he goes for the personal.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 19-07-2010, 01:30 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 20-07-2010, 09:07 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - A Cousin - 21-07-2010 03:23 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 24-07-2010, 07:39 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM