Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
21-07-2010, 05:37 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
(21-07-2010 03:25 PM)Silktie Wrote:  What does anyone else think about the idea of Britain interfering in the politics of another country in the hope of installing a new person in power that they can control? Living in Africa, and having seen first-hand the disastrous consequences it can have when a superpower installs someone sympathetic to them, and then turning a blind eye when that person turns into a despot against his own people, I take a very dim view of this. I can see where Juliet is coming from when she authorises this, but as Harry points out, when has this ploy ever turned out well? Perhaps Juliet should pay attention to the lessons history has to offer.

This is a difficult question to answer. The British army did go into Sierra Leone in 1999 to help support an uprising against the Government, which the British Governement obviously supported, but I think this was with the agreement of the UN. I guess though, if the British Government had not liked the Governemnt in power it probably would have just left the country to implode. I do see your point about not interfering Silktie but I do see Countries like Zimbabwe and Somalia and wish that someone, somewhere, would have the balls to do something. Is doing nothing always the best option just because you are afraid it could turn out badly? Difficult one.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 19-07-2010, 01:30 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 20-07-2010, 09:07 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - Tea Lady - 21-07-2010 05:37 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 24-07-2010, 07:39 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM