Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
21-07-2010, 10:06 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch]
(21-07-2010 03:23 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  Maybe I am just muddled as I so often am, but the big question in my mind is why was Farook not hanged? Clearly he was supposed to be and he wouldn't have been a friend of the Syrian government unless they didn't believe Adam's set up. Which I guess is possible, but in that case why would he be on the run? I guess he escaped?

Farook wasn't hanged (hung?) because, as it turns out, he was really a double agent for Syria. The Israelis thought they had turned him but he was reporting to Syrian intelligence all the time.

Re Silktie's question about countries interfering in the internal structures and operations of other countries -- the US has LOTS of history in this arena and, to my knowledge, it's never worked out well (think of the Shah of Iran, Saddam Hussein, Haiti, El Salvador, the Philippines, South Vietnam, a number of African and other South American countries, etc). In all cases, the US's basic motivation was to install regimes that were sympathetic to American "values" (read right wing and non-Communist), not regimes that were sympathetic to their own peoples. I do believe that democracy is the best form of government but that's only my opinion -- it doesn't mean that people and countries who don't subscribe to that view are not entitled to whatever form of govt they choose. It would be inspiring if "oppressed peoples" (my definition, of course) would arise and take back their countries but if they don't, that's their decision and their business. I (and my govt) have neither the right nor the authority to do so for them.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 19-07-2010, 01:30 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 20-07-2010, 09:07 AM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 21-07-2010 10:06 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 24-07-2010, 07:39 PM
RE: Episode 7 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM