Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
26-07-2010, 11:13 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
I really like this ep -- love the old Russia vs. new Russia politics, the terrific relationship between Harry and Hugo Ross, the Ruth/Adam cabal (I love it when Ruth bucks Harry in the interest of the other officers). I thought Malcolm was absolutely great here -- he takes it personally when he can't beat Korsakov's electronic defenses: "This is the worst day of my life." And you really believe he means it.

Pairing the Russia theme with the NHS issue ("The great unspeakable truth at the heart of British politics is that the NHS is collapsing") is politically prescient -- Russian moguls moving westward with their boatloads of ready cash is certainly presenting a security services nightmare in free-market countries. And the idea of MI5 working against direct orders from the govt in order to save the govt is an all-too-possible scenario. Trust Ruth to get to the heart of the matter succinctly: "So illegal it's very nearly treason."

The story of Adam's grief that undercuts the entire ep was very well done -- subtly written and sensitively acted by RPJ. And having Ruth be the person who intercedes with Harry for Adam reinforces her emotional connection with both men and the trust placed in her by both of them.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - Tea Lady - 25-07-2010, 07:28 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 26-07-2010, 04:25 AM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 26-07-2010 11:13 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 27-07-2010, 09:10 AM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 27-07-2010, 02:03 PM