Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
27-07-2010, 01:50 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
There is a lot of old vs. new in this episode some more subtly presented than others.

As lwhite mentions, there is the over all old Russia/new Russia thread: old enemies working together against an new enemy.

This episode is also a turning point for Adam from one kind of spy to another. Once Adam crys, he is able to let go of his old life with Fiona and accept his new life and tell Wes and Fiona's parents about her death.

Then there is Hugo as the epitome old school spy and Zaf as the new school bourgeois spy - with Harry stuck somewhere in the middle. I think it is much more symbolic to have Hugo just fade away.

And lastly there is Harry's handling of Adams mental state (shut him out and ship him off) and Ruth's handling of Adam mental state (keep him involved and help him heal through gratifying work.)

I am still trying to figure out how the Faraday Cage was created in the hotel room and what Malcolm did to override it. But I will move that to another thread. Huh

I too love it when Malcolm gets pissy. I thought Harry's goading of Malcolm was interesting. I think Harry is purposefully trying to piss Malcolm off, but I also think Harry knows Malcolm will understand the intent. It is a very old school managerial tactic though. There is nothing "positive reinforcement" about it. And Malcolm doesn't not respond to that kind of managing. That teensy-tiny exchange says a lot about both of them.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - Tea Lady - 25-07-2010, 07:28 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 26-07-2010, 04:25 AM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 27-07-2010, 09:10 AM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - A Cousin - 27-07-2010 01:50 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 27-07-2010, 02:03 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 29-07-2010, 06:03 AM