Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 9 Discussion [rewatch]
06-08-2010, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2010 11:12 AM by JHyde.)
RE: Episode 9 Discussion [rewatch]
I totally love this episode, definitely in my top 10 of the show. It has my big three: great script, great acting, great direction. It all comes together so neatly and is always a pleasure.

The main reason I think this episode works so well is that it is such a perfect balance of the personal and the professional. The thriller style of the plot, the tradecraft used, combined with all the lovely moments for all the characters, make for terrific viewing many times over. PF is particular turns in a great performance, we all love seeing Harry at his best.

I disagree that Jo was a fish wet on this one. I think her reaction was totally understandable. It doesn't mean I agree with her, I am firmly on Zaf's (and Harry's) side, but I think her distress is reasonable given what had just happened. I like seeing them all argue around the conference table, the show is at its best when those scenes are incorporated.

There has been a little mention of locations on this one - personally I think it is amongst the best the show has ever looked. The scenes at the dog track are lively and Paternoster Square looks incredible in that beautifully shot scene between Adam and Ruth.

The scene on the bus is lovely and so simple and I try not to overanalyse it. I agree that Ruth's moving away is mostly annoyance at the turn of the conversation but mostly I just like seeing these two interact somewhere outside of work. It's a pleasant change from their regular dynamic.

I love that Harry goes back to work after a day at the track, so predictable. And so predictable that Ruth was there. That last scene (in addition to the one on the bus) has spawned I don't know how many HR fan fics so I suppose it has a lot to answer for!

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 9 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
RE: Episode 9 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 06-08-2010 11:10 AM
RE: Episode 9 Discussion [rewatch] - Noam - 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM