Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
I think what developments in 9.7 have done, is force Ruth to finally be totally honest with herself and with Harry about why she won't give him a chance. I really thought, at the beginning of the episode, when Harry told her that she hasn't forgiven him for George's death, he was spot-on, and at that stage of proceedings, this was what Ruth told herself. She couldn't give Harry a chance as it would be a betrayal of the grief she is supposed to feel about George's death.

However, at the end, she is forced to face the real reason - her guilt about the fact that she isn't as broken up about losing George and Nico as she thinks she should be. It harkens back to what she told Harry on the roof in 9.1: she thinks because of her ability to move on from George's death, she doesn't deserve happiness herself. So, for Harry and Ruth to have any chance, Ruth will have to make peace with that fact. I'm not sure whether developments in 9.8 will be enough to achieve that, but maybe it will be a first baby step in the right direction.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 02-11-2010 06:53 PM