Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
06-11-2010, 02:44 AM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(05-11-2010 10:59 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  The thing is, why didn't Ruth stop him while Harry was giving his speech, if she thought he was wrong? Why wait until she was half out of the door, almost speaking to the corridor? In fact the way Ruth's head snaps up, during that speech, makes her look angry. The look in her eyes is one of anger. I felt she was angry that he was talking about this, almost that it was none of his business. When in fact it is his business, because Harry was there. I don't think Ruth was very convincing in letting Harry know, that it wasn't his fault. Even at the hospital at the end, she mentions again that Harry feels she blames him for George. She doesn't say he is wrong, just talks about her feelings.

For what its worth, I think Ruth needs Harry to carry some of the guilt for her, because she has so much guilt, she would fall under the weight.

I love that scene. Of the three they have together in 9.7, that one is my favorite because it is so...thick.

From my perspective, there are two reasons why she doesn't stop him.

1) Harry's in boss mode and she has to listen to him. He has already frozen her out, told her she isn't allowed to question him and that he isn't really trusting her judgment at the moment. (Way to butter a girl up, Harry! Wink) Did you notice how he buttons his coat up before he launches into his psychological assessment of her? (Very subtle and fantastic cue by PF, BTW) Bless his pointy head, he is trying to help but in a pedantic and condescending way.

2) I think that at that point she hasn't been able to verbalize it. She hasn't made the connection. She kept staring at the picture of Nico and can't quite figure out why she can't feel anything. When she tries to call Greece, she fails to "connect" - literally.

And then in the hospital scene, after all the horribleness, she makes the connection and is able to verbalize it and he finally really just listens to her. Not only that, but challenges her to tell him what the truth is. Her truth. As she experiences it. I think she does tell him that her supposedly unresolved blame of him is not "the truth." The truth is much worse. I am not sure how much clearer she could be?

You cannot have the truth in such a way that you catch it, but only in such a way that it catches you. ~Guess Who (Must. Quote. Kierkegaard!)

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 06-11-2010 02:44 AM