Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
15-11-2010, 10:23 AM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(14-11-2010 02:32 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I think the main reason she is putting so much effort into hardening her heart is something that I haven't seen mentioned on these boards. The fact is, when it came down to it and she had to make a choice between giving away the whereabouts of a WMD or seeing her loved ones killed, she chose to save the few over the many. She didn't know her knowledge was redundant. She chose love over the country - the thing she is now so furious with Harry for doing (I too think she doesn't know yet that the Albany file was worthless). I think she has admired Harry hugely for being able to make those life and death decisions and be able to always put the greater good first and she wants to emulate him but she doesn't know how. She is trying to do it by shutting out all feeling, so that if she ever is put in that position again (even if it's with Harry) she will be able to make a clinical decision without remorse - an impossibility for someone of her kind and empathetic nature which is why it is making her so miserable. Finding herself in the position last week of having to sacrifice her own life to protect another state secret, she was given the chance to make up for what she sees as her previous failure to protect mankind, so when Harry saved her he took what she saw as her chance of redemption away from her and she resented him for it.

I do hope the writers give us some sort of explanation and closure in the next series, regardless of the outcome. This catalogue of misunderstanding, lack of communication and interrupted moments between Ruth and Harry is just getting to be too much. For everything that we've invested in these characters I think we deserve to see them acknowledge the truth of their feelings to each other. PLEASE!

Great first post! We love getting new perspectives on this thread. Smile I think you make a very interesting point re Ruth and her motivations, I can see that being the case with her.

As for moving forward in season 10, I can distinctly remember us saying before season 9 that another season of will they/won't they would just not be believable, and yet that's what they gave us basically, with a few sideways steps thrown in.

I do think they run the risk of making Harry look like a sap, and Ruth a rather unsympathetic character, if they give us another season like this one.

I would rather see them explore the difficulty of keeping a relationship going whilst working together in such a high-pressure environment next season.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 15-11-2010 10:23 AM