Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
25-11-2010, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2010 06:44 PM by Forever Secret.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(25-11-2010 04:11 PM)Silktie Wrote:  
(25-11-2010 09:57 AM)lottanyman Wrote:  I think the reason for Ruth’s state of mind in S9 which is even worse than in S8 is that she realises that she got over the mourning period for George relatively quickly and that culminates in her outbreak towards Harry in the hospital in episode 7.
So in S8 she was mourning in the beginning and was gradually beginning to get better but in S9 she apparently finds that it’s too soon to feel better and feels guilty instead which is leading to some kind of depression.

This was my impression as well. There's a couple of things I'm pondering about these two at the moment.

Firstly, is Ruth's guilt over her ability to move on from George perhaps also linked to the fact that she realises she never truly loved him - because in her mind, if she'd loved him, she would not be able to move on so quickly?

Secondly, what triggered this tremendous guilt? Apparently it all started when Harry proposed, so if he hadn't, would she still have been the same towards him than she had been in season 8?

After thinking about it a little more , it's my impression too.
I agree with that aswell, Ruths guilt coming from the fact she could move on so quickly, and in S9 she went backwards in a way. I think the proposal may have reminded Ruth that while they'd been close in S8, she was reminded how much Harry loves her, and thats another thing she feels guilty about, maybe she feels she doesn't deserve to be loved by him because she feels it all her fault that George was killed and she blames herself for it all, I don't think she really ever blamed Harry, she blamed herself but the guilt became so much she needed someone else to lay it on... and that was Harry.
I do think Ruth loved George, but there was a major difference in her affections for George and her affection for Harry, it's like she loved George, but could never be 'in love' with him, she never loved him the same way she loves Harry...
I picked that up when Ruth and Harry were being held in 8.1, Ruth never says she loves George, she just says that he's a good man and when Harry asks "Do you love him?" she refuses to tell him, maybe then she realises after seeing Harry again after so long she never stopped loving him ...

I'm also hoping in Series 10 that she doesn't push him away, the more I think about it though, the more I think Harry might push Ruth away to try and protect her, after all if they are digging into his past a lot of unwanted attention could be set on Harry...there's bound to be some pretty .... bad stuff buried in his past... Wink

(25-11-2010 06:12 PM)almh Wrote:  Their relationship does seem to keep going in circles, let's hope that this breaks in series 10! (If it doesn't I will get annoyed, because I hate to say it but I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with the whole will they won't they.)

I hope this breaks in S10 as well! Another series of angst and will they won't they? It'll drive me up the wall!
The 'Will they, Won't they?' thing works... but only up to a point, and then it just gets to become a repeat of what we've already seen... and it gets a little annoying... everyone know their feelings for each other... they just have to say it, admit it to each other and to themselves,... after so long, they at least deserve some kind of happy ending! Wink

[Image: smallersig-1.jpg]
You and I...We're made of secrets-Ruth Evershed S10
"If it was up to me and Peter they'd have done it loads by now"- Nicola Walker Wink
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 25-11-2010 06:35 PM