Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
27-11-2010, 06:32 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
Why do I want them to be together?

Well, there is no logical answer to that, in my opinion. We all identify with certain characters and storylines more than others due to our own personal frameworks from which we view the world. I admire both these characters immensely for their approach to duty to their country, and I love the fact that neither is very good at this relationship thing. It's awkward, and messy, and therefore more real than many other relationships depicted on television. There is definite chemistry between them, and I love the fact that it developed so gradually, and almost under the radar. I find it very sad when people who are obviously in love with each other can't overcome the obstacles, whether they be real or imagined, and at least give a relationship a go. You'll never know for sure whether it will work or not, but you owe it to yourself to try and find out. And like TL said, they both deserve some happiness after all they've been through.

As to whether Harry is in love with the idea of Ruth rather than with Ruth herself, I posit that it is impossible for one human being to fully know another human being. We all have pictures of the other people in our lives in our heads, but that picture is always our own view of that person, and can never be a fully accurate picture. I think both of them had more idealised views of each other before Ruth left, but that has changed since she's come back, and now they are more aware of the other's shortcomings.

They shouldn't get together just because Harry loves Ruth, and she must figure out for herself what it is that she truly needs. She does love Harry though, and perhaps she owes it to herself to find out whether a relationship with him could work, rather than regretting not even trying when she's 80 and all alone.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Silktie - 27-11-2010 06:32 PM