Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
28-11-2010, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2010 02:02 PM by Forever Secret.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(28-11-2010 01:08 AM)Kirayuki Wrote:  
(28-11-2010 12:54 AM)binkie Wrote:  
(27-11-2010 06:09 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  Ahhh yes Gene and Alex... probably tied as my favourite TV couple at the moment along side Ruth and Harry... lets hope Ruth and Harry get a happier ending than Gene and Alex did though... it's been what 5 months now? I'm still angry at the ending Wink

Isn’t that interesting?! I thought the end of Ashes to Ashes was genuinely emotionally satisfying – it was what it had to be, and it was properly and sensitively retconned to prove itself. Not a happy ending exactly, but a suitable one. Perhaps this bodes ill for my cheesecake credentials Undecided

Nope. Your cheescake credentials are un-affected if mine aren't. Tongue

I'm a huge ashes fan (Gene/Alex fan included there) and i was totally satisfied with the ending in terms of their relationship. I'd class it as almost 'bittersweet'.

I've also long batted for the camp that thinks a bittersweet ending for Harry and Ruth would also be acceptable, but only if done well... like 5.5 was. (However with the way these new writers are going i am sat here crossing my fingers already).
This is not to say i wouldn't prefer a happy ending.

However I think i'll find that in the end, if it makes sense and is wrapped up well, i will probably be satisfied. Here's hoping.

Ahhh the ending overall I thought was pretty good and emotionally satisfying in terms of the story, it was just Alex's ending I didn't like, after 3 years of good drama and she was left with nothing, she lost her daughter, she lost Gene and she lost her life... I was a little depressed. It was more bitter than sweet for Alex,
But it does remind me now a little of 5.5, where Ruth has to leave, bittersweet, and come to think of it very much like Ashes.. they'd been on a date, and had their moments, and neither of them had taken action to move forward on the relationship... only G/a was a little more fiery and H/R is more sweet... Wink
I think it was a good idea for her to leave and come back, she developed as a character even though we didn't see it, and for Ruth I think that was a good thing, she returns seemingly a new person and then when she see's Harry again when she returns to the Grid, it's the Ruth everyone knows again Smile

I'm thinking for S10 perhaps Ruth actually listened to Lucas in 9.8, when he told her to be brave, he was right, she needs to be brave, take a chance, or it'll pass her by Wink

(28-11-2010 12:57 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Yeh, I agree. Look at Ruth's reaction when Harry praised her about her "wonderful qualities" on their one and only date. The words Harry used were lovely and heartfelt. Ruth looked so uncomfortable, even to the point where she looked like she wanted to just bolt from him.

We all moaned at Harry about the quality of his proposal in 9.1, but surely the evidence of Harry's past experience with Ruth, is that praise and opening your heart to her, just makes her uncomfortable and makes her want to run a mile.

Can you imagine Ruth's reaction if Harry had said, "you are the love of my life, you are my heart, you are the most beautiful thing in this world." Christ, Ruth probably would have ran and left him all alone leaning on that fence. I don't think Ruth's answer to Harry's proposal would have been any different, if it had been stated in a different way or on a different occasion.

I guess Ruth is just one of those characters though, she's happy about most things but it terrifies that Harry loves her, perhaps because she'd never felt that way about anyone else, she's very shy around the subject,
She's fine around Harry when its based around work but when it becomes personal, she gets nervous, which in S10 is something I'd like her to overcome...
I would love for them just to admit their feelnigs to each other even if they don't become a couple... I could imagine them in a near death situation together and alone, then it would a "now or never" situation Wink

[Image: smallersig-1.jpg]
You and I...We're made of secrets-Ruth Evershed S10
"If it was up to me and Peter they'd have done it loads by now"- Nicola Walker Wink
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 28-11-2010 02:01 PM