Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
28-11-2010, 02:35 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(28-11-2010 02:01 PM)Forever Secret Wrote:  
(28-11-2010 12:57 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  Yeh, I agree. Look at Ruth's reaction when Harry praised her about her "wonderful qualities" on their one and only date. The words Harry used were lovely and heartfelt. Ruth looked so uncomfortable, even to the point where she looked like she wanted to just bolt from him.

We all moaned at Harry about the quality of his proposal in 9.1, but surely the evidence of Harry's past experience with Ruth, is that praise and opening your heart to her, just makes her uncomfortable and makes her want to run a mile.

Can you imagine Ruth's reaction if Harry had said, "you are the love of my life, you are my heart, you are the most beautiful thing in this world." Christ, Ruth probably would have ran and left him all alone leaning on that fence. I don't think Ruth's answer to Harry's proposal would have been any different, if it had been stated in a different way or on a different occasion.

I guess Ruth is just one of those characters though, she's happy about most things but it terrifies that Harry loves her, perhaps because she'd never felt that way about anyone else, she's very shy around the subject,
She's fine around Harry when its based around work but when it becomes personal, she gets nervous, which in S10 is something I'd like her to overcome...
I would love for them just to admit their feelings to each other even if they don't become a couple... I could imagine them in a near death situation together and alone, then it would a "now or never" situation Wink

Yep. Agreed. That 'near death, now or never' situation is one i hoped it wouldn't come too... however if that's what it takes then it should bloody be done! Tongue

Ruth has always had trouble taking 'direct' praise for her rather than her abilities. If someone points out how good she is at her job or similar she's fine, it's like you said, just when it hits the 'personal' territory.

This might have something to do with the fact that she's been alone most of her life. (Going to boarding school after her dad died and throwing herself into her studies... not being lucky in relationships...) she just isn't used to it and is scared.

Hopefully she will be pulled out of it for series 10 with the immediate threat to Harry and Lucas telling her to be brave as one of the last things he said to her.

Codename Kirayuki: Vid Maker. H/R & Ruth fan.
[Image: Thatsyou98sigwithtext.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Kirayuki - 28-11-2010 02:35 PM