Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
28-11-2010, 04:55 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
Random thoughts after reading today's posts:

I don't think Harry is any more likely to make a big sloppy speech declaring his love for her any more than she would be able to listen to it and tearfully profess hers as well. Their actions show it. Ruth has acknowledged that Harry loves her. There is no doubt about that now. The only thing missing is Ruth's acknowledgment of her feelings for him and sex. If the sex never factors into it, that would be fine, IMO. Their connection is played out on so many other planes: intellectual, philosophical, ethical, etc. The very reason I like the story of their relationship is that it is devout and pragmatic without being romantic or sentimental. It is not a young relationship. It is a mature relationship. It is what the Honeymoon turns into if you are lucky.

I am not sure that Ruth's holding back is completely her underestimating herself (although that may be part of it) but rather, her being painfully aware that she will always be Harry's Achilles Heel. And he, hers. I think she is trying to protect Harry. And herself. And the thousands of people it is their duty to protect.

As for them getting together and simply being blissfully happy - life sucks sometimes. Love doesn't always conquer all. Timing sucks. Hearts get broken. Part of me wants the happy and sentimental ending for two characters so finely portrayed that I feel like they are friends, and the other side of me could see where it could go horribly wrong or at least fizzle out once they both fully accept each other for what they really are - warts and all. Either way, there is potential for some good stories.

I am not going to speculate. I am just going to wait and see where it goes. I think where it goes will depend greatly on whether it is renewed for an S11 and whether or not PF and NW renew their contracts into S11.

And a small epiphany in re-watching 9.8 with Ruth's line "it was unfair of you to love me." She had just referred to all those who had died before. I think she is referring to Ros, Jo, Adam, Zaf, Colin and Danny. I wonder if she is not saying that it is unfair to her for him to love her, but it was unfair to them. Thoughts?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 28-11-2010 04:55 PM