Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
29-11-2010, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2010 11:44 PM by binkie.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(29-11-2010 07:28 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(29-11-2010 04:17 PM)binkie Wrote:  
(29-11-2010 07:13 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I'm confused as to how many of you think that there is still a 'will they/won't they' going on.

At least for now, it's over. Ruth said no.

Indeed she did. It will be interesting to see whether the show has the courage of its conviction on this matter. I would like to see their relationship develop in the aftermath of 'No', rather than having them reduced to the status of a sort of Ross-and-Rachel for the BBC drama department.

It is kind of an odd spin on Penelope's Web, isn't it? Penelope's Web as a symbol of something that is constantly being worked on but never finished. It is that state of being constantly unfinished is what keeps the will they/ won't they aspect to it for me.

For those that don't know the myth: Penelope is known for her cleverness rather than her beauty, which distinguishes her from all other mortal women in Greek mythology, as well as her sense of devotion and duty. After her husband, Odysseus (the man, the myth, the legend - literally), goes to fight the Trojan Wars, Penelope, holds off all suitors for 20 years by telling them that she will make a decision after she finishes her father-in-laws funeral shroud. It is all a clever ruse because she seemingly works on it during the day but unpicks it at night. Like Ruth is holding Harry off because she can't unpick everything that has happened between them and to them. Ruth talks about not being able to unpick everything they have been through, but I think she actually over-analysis it.

Much like I am probably doing right now....Blush

I really like the choice you make of cultural reference to reinforce your point. It feels like a reference Ruth would make - and Harry would understand. Because of that, it extends the plot potential of the relationship that is unmade even as it is made. That in itself is the nature and quality of this relationship. The trick the writers will need to pull off next is to establish the extent to which both Harry and Ruth are aware of this, and the extent to which Harry in particular will accept it.
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - binkie - 29-11-2010 10:54 PM