Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(03-12-2010 11:29 AM)Belle Wrote:  Maybe Ruth ment, when she said 'we couldn't be closer than we are now', that because of the work they do and all the grief they share (for colleagues, for the evil in the world,..) they have a bond wich goes very deep and is very strong and if they would resign and just be together, maybe she is scared that that bond would be lost?

What I also don't understand (seems like I'm a bit dumb Wink) is why they would have to resign if they want to be together, when Ruth said 'what would we talk about with the neighbours' I got the sense it implied that, if they would become 'lovers' there would be no place for MI5 anymore in their lives, why is that? It's not that the service would reject them if they would marry, Adam and Fiona were married too and they still could do their job.
Or maybe that is the reason Ruth rejected Harry's proposal, because she thinks that if they come together, they wouldn't be able to do their saving-England-work anymore?

Hi Belle! Welcome to Harry and Ruth Land! Believe me when I tell you that we LOVE to discuss and rediscuss this topic! Wink I have only been registered since April of this year and I am sure I brought up topics that had already been talked to death. The fun of it is everyone brings their own POV and sometimes something that has not been thought of before.

That said, last night I went back into the Old Ruth and Harry thread because that is where we had the discussion about 9.1. Harry and Ruth Strike Back I think it's called? It was too long and had to be closed - LOL! - thus this thread. There is also a lot of discussion in the Ruth thread too but I haven't reread it yet. Once again there was a lot of discussion re: Ruth's intentions during 9.1.

Anyhoo, to be the pedant that I am, the actual line is "We couldn't be more together than we are right now." I think the distinction is important because she isn't questioning their closeness. That is there. That has always been there and will continue to be. IMO, (and with 20/20 hindsight of the whole of S9) what she is questioning is the complicated nature of their connection. It is a connection so tied up in the personal and professional that they cannot be disconnected without one or the other suffering. And she doesn't want either to suffer. One must remember that at that moment, she thinks he is going to resign. She doesn't know that he retracted it. So, to her mind, he is asking her to change the natural habitat of their relationship.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 03-12-2010 02:34 PM