Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
03-12-2010, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2010 03:29 PM by Belle.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(03-12-2010 02:34 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  Hi Belle! Welcome to Harry and Ruth Land! Believe me when I tell you that we LOVE to discuss and rediscuss this topic! Wink I have only been registered since April of this year and I am sure I brought up topics that had already been talked to death. The fun of it is everyone brings their own POV and sometimes something that has not been thought of before.

That said, last night I went back into the Old Ruth and Harry thread because that is where we had the discussion about 9.1. Harry and Ruth Strike Back I think it's called? It was too long and had to be closed - LOL! - thus this thread. There is also a lot of discussion in the Ruth thread too but I haven't reread it yet. Once again there was a lot of discussion re: Ruth's intentions during 9.1.

Anyhoo, to be the pedant that I am, the actual line is "We couldn't be more together than we are right now." I think the distinction is important because she isn't questioning their closeness. That is there. That has always been there and will continue to be. IMO, (and with 20/20 hindsight of the whole of S9) what she is questioning is the complicated nature of their connection. It is a connection so tied up in the personal and professional that they cannot be disconnected without one or the other suffering. And she doesn't want either to suffer. One must remember that at that moment, she thinks he is going to resign. She doesn't know that he retracted it. So, to her mind, he is asking her to change the natural habitat of their relationship.

Thanks for the welcome! Smile
Sorry about the misquoting!
The distinction is indeed very important, because it is indeed pointing out the total conectedness between work and private.
Ruth (and Harry) are walking an extremely thin line between those two things and I do believe that it's because Ruth (more than Harry) don't want to give up MI5 that she is denying her feelings for Harry.
I wonder if she thinks that, now she has given up so much already for MI5, it would make no sense to give up MI5 instead? That it would otherwise mean that all those killed would have died in vain if she was to choose herself over the work?
I also wonder if she would react different if he would ask the same question again (wich his proud propably won't let him) ,now that he will not resign (totaly disregarding the possible investigation towards Harry).

It's "a struggle for heaven and earth. Where there is one law: fight or die. And one rule: resist or serve."
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Belle - 03-12-2010 03:26 PM