Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
*waves*

Just catching up.

(02-12-2010 09:52 AM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  Don't talk about re-watching it! It's off bbc iplayer and not yet on dvd and I'm definitely getting withdrawal symptoms now! Undecided

DogSoSmall, do what I do, if you get desperate. Get an itunes account and download the episodes onto your PC. Even if you have not got an iphone, you can still watch the episodes on your computer. Failing that, and you want the episodes on a disc, send me a PM.

(03-12-2010 02:34 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  
(03-12-2010 11:29 AM)Belle Wrote:  Maybe Ruth ment, when she said 'we couldn't be closer than we are now', that because of the work they do and all the grief they share (for colleagues, for the evil in the world,..) they have a bond wich goes very deep and is very strong and if they would resign and just be together, maybe she is scared that that bond would be lost?
Anyhoo, to be the pedant that I am, the actual line is "We couldn't be more together than we are right now." I think the distinction is important because she isn't questioning their closeness. That is there. That has always been there and will continue to be. IMO, (and with 20/20 hindsight of the whole of S9) what she is questioning is the complicated nature of their connection. It is a connection so tied up in the personal and professional that they cannot be disconnected without one or the other suffering. And she doesn't want either to suffer. One must remember that at that moment, she thinks he is going to resign. She doesn't know that he retracted it. So, to her mind, he is asking her to change the natural habitat of their relationship.

I do agree that she isn't questioning their "closeness," because if she was, then surely they HAVE been more together. Were they not closer in S4 and S5 than S8 and S9? With regards to their professional relationship, I believe that relationship IS closer than it was before Ruth left. Ruth has become Harry's second in command almost.

That scene is so sad for me because of Harry's face when she says it. He looks so devastated like a small boy who has lost all hope. I can just imagine him saying in his head, "But... I want you Ruth. I love you. Don't let me go."

(04-12-2010 10:02 AM)Silktie Wrote:  I think she may actually have known by then that he's not resigning. The discussion before she gives her little spiel is about how he's decided to offer Beth a job. That's a very clear indication to her that he's staying, because if he was still resigning, it would not be up to him to offer Beth the job.

I think Ruth did know Harry was staying simply because she didn't mention it on the roof, and the way she ignored Harry and carried on talking, when he mentioned the deaths of the nine people he had caused.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Tea Lady - 06-12-2010 06:24 PM