Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
16-12-2010, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2010 03:15 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(16-12-2010 11:48 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Hee! Yeah me too. Although I agree with A Cousin on this one. I don't think we'll get anything more on the 48 hours. But then, when have I ever correctly predicted anything on Spooks?

I just love you two! Big Grin But the fanficers are certainly filling in the holes rather nicely!

That is why I try to not predict. I almost always get it wrong too. I just try to ask questions.

(16-12-2010 11:48 AM)Silktie Wrote:  It really is interesting how much Ruth's view of Harry has changed between season 8 and 9. In season 8 she was always reminding him not to lose sight of his humanity - with George and Nico, and with that 16 year old they used in one of the episodes, for instance. But in season 9, she often scolds him because he is showing too much humanity, in particular when he chooses to save her. I wonder what she would have said to him if Lucas had kidnapped and threatened Beth, for instance, and Harry decided to try and save her in the same way he did Ruth? Would she still have told him it was wrong of him? In other words, I wonder if she is holding it against him that he saved her in particular, because she wanted to pay for her perceived sins by dying to save others, and he denied her that.

The writers asked the viewers to "readjust their monitors" a lot for the three main characters this series. re: Harry and Ruth, I think the catalyst was supposed to be Ros' funeral and then Harry's retribution on Blake. I bought it, so the difference between Ruth of S8 and Ruth of S9 didn't really bother me any more than Harry starting to lose it on the balcony in 8.8. The events of 9.1 shook both of them to the core enough to shift both of them across the aisle. For me Ruth was more Harry-like and Harry was more Ruth-like in S9.

I wonder if Ruth has kind of a death wish or at least a fatalistic view of what she thinks is the probable outcome of her time in the service. I wonder if she feels that chances are they will all eventually die in the call of duty. Not many make it out alive, and if they do, they are completely divorced from what defined them as a human being for the duration of the time they were in the service.

Hmmm.... One to ponder re: Ruth feeling betrayed (Oh, THAT word again!) because Harry denied her her penance for her decisions. (If I am interpreting what you are saying correctly?) I think another level involved is that, for her, he sullied the memory of those who had died before her by cheating what she saw as her fate. Problem is, he is her fate. At least he will be as long as they are working together.

OK - I'll shuddup now. I feel like I am rambling again and not making much sense. Blush

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - A Cousin - 16-12-2010 03:14 PM