Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
23-12-2010, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2010 02:11 PM by Forever Secret.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
(23-12-2010 06:24 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Welcome Lazyme63! You make some good points re the use of the word 'love'. Episode 9.8 definitely established and acknowledged that they both still love each other. But I also agree that at this stage, Ruth knows Harry loves her, but Harry doesn't know for certain whether Ruth loves him. She's only indirectly acknowledged it by not contradicting Lucas when he said that she loved Harry. But she's never openly acknowledged it to anyone else, let alone Harry.

So, if you're right that they will still do something with this relationship, I think the first step will have to come from Ruth. I've also been thinking how they could do this in season 10. One way it could be done subtly is that Ruth does something to save Harry's career, something that will threaten her own if she is found out, thus leaving Harry in no doubt as to how much she loves him. This way it can all be left as subtext and we wouldn't need dramatic declarations of love, which is not really in keeping with these two characters. Then in the next episode we can just see them waking up together, or leaving for work together, or something like that, and we'll know they are now a couple.

Still loving your avatar Wink
Exactly, Ruth knows about Harry's love for her, but it's never been made obvious whether or not she loves him... she does, but Harry doesn't know it, he's unsure, which is why I think he won't take a step towards being with her, like he's backing off giving her space and letting her come to him Wink

You're right, if something is to be done in Series 10 it has to start with Ruth, after all thats happened, just when things were seemingly being fixed the whole thing with Lucas has just made her broken again Sad

Doing something to save Harry's career or at least letting him leave on is own terms, but at the expense of her own career and you're right it could all be left to subtext, as it has been done that way most of the time they've known each other and it's always worked... a lot of it down to PF and NW being amazing actors . Smile

Very much liking that idea!
Knowing they are a couple without actually seeing anything happen Wink It differs from the usual Spooks relationship, Harry and Ruth has always been different to relationships like Ros and Adam, or even Adam and Fiona... it would be interesting as well they'd be the only couple on the Grid, that is if Harry is still working on the Grid Smile

(23-12-2010 12:41 PM)DogSoSmall Wrote:  I'm liking your thinking, LazyMe!! Agree with everything said here, except that if they skip to waking up in bed and deny us the long-awaited declaration and kiss (passionate as opposed to the loving one in S5), I will not be a happy bunny. Wink

Good point! I would not be a happy Bunny either if that happened and I like being a Happy Bunny Tongue... maybe we could see that kiss happen, obviously more passionate than the S5.... that was more chaste... and sweet,... and then dun dun dun! Next morning Wink
I can just imagine Ruth have some revelation, or one of those H/R moments happening and Ruth not being able to hold back her feelings anymore Tongue

[Image: smallersig-1.jpg]
You and I...We're made of secrets-Ruth Evershed S10
"If it was up to me and Peter they'd have done it loads by now"- Nicola Walker Wink
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - Forever Secret - 23-12-2010 02:08 PM