Poll: Should Ruth have accepted Harry's proposal?
This poll is closed.
Hells yes. What was she thinking? 52.50% 21 52.50%
No, Ruth is on her own journey this season. 42.50% 17 42.50%
HR boring and monotonous 5.00% 2 5.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
15-01-2011, 03:40 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years.
JUst rewatched 9.8 and noticed how the word love was used 3 times in this episode re H&R. I may have missed it, but I don't recall it ever being spoken outloud before and established as a fact? (Even implied as happening offscreen.) Furthermore, it's used by people to describe what now seems to be an established fact, even though the characters themselves seem never to have told each other?
Lucas says "you love him don't you?" as a statement of fact, not really a question. How does he know this. People at work can spot attraction, closeness, affection but love is something else especially as we are led to believe nothing is going on between them beyond the grid.
Ruth tells Harry is was unfair of him to love her (even though he's never told her? Even during the proposal he never indicated his feelings of romance or love.)
On the rooftop, Harry reminds Lucas that terrible things are done in the name of love (ie reference to his love for Ruth and the albany trade)

As said, closeness or attraction is one thing. But referencing their "love" in such an off hand way is a massive off screen jump for me from S8 (just got round to asking out for a drink) to proposal, to everyone in the world talking about their love. Of course viewers have always been aware of the love, but not the characters.

Anyone else pick up on this, if you understand what I mean? Sorry, not explaining it very well.
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth. The Wonder Years. - loladom - 15-01-2011 03:40 PM