Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How did you feel about Season 9?
09-11-2010, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2010 04:31 PM by theeyeshaveit.)
RE: How did you feel about Season 9?
I wrote some of this under the Lucas character thread but I think it probably belongs here more.

Spooks is never fun and games but my overall feeling was that it was more of a downer series than usual with all facets contributing, Harry and Ruth having a hard time of it, sad and somewhat personal weekly stories and the destruction of Lucas all made me feel down a lot of the time.

I liked the weekly episodes very much this year, a bit more mystery and intrigue and less of it being all about a ticking bomb situation. There were some outstanding acting performances from the guests too.

Harry and Ruth seem like they can never be together until both of them leave the service to me. Either of them is vulnerable to a Lucas type blackmail situation while they work in that business.

I liked both the new team members, although they were largely on the periphery of most things. Beth is so different to Roz, there is no point comparing them and I think her uncertainty, vulnerability and less than pristine appearance makes her an approachable character.

As for the Lucas story. What disappoints so much is not what they did with Lucas in making him become a rogue agent, but the crazy, unbelievable why he did it and the disrespect it shows toward the character and the fans who had invested anything in him.

We could have had 90% of what we got with one of the possible reasons he had in his Mi5 time to become a rogue agent. Someone coming back on the scene to push his buttons, him doing everything he did, us coming up with the same theories like, is he undercover, is he reprogrammed, is he working for the Russians, and it could have played out pretty much the same. Why did they have to totally destroy and demean his character?

Although I didn't think it was ever even a remote possibility, I would have been upset and disappointed if they had demolished and demeaned Harry or Ruth in any way as well. I never for a minute thought Harry would give them the file for Ruth, I always thought it was not what it looked like. I certainly hope Harry is not going to be pulled down in S10 in any way like Lucas was. I have a feeling however that even if the powers that be might have a go at him, his real integrity and reputation will remain undiminished and obvious to the viewer.

Loved the new HS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How did you feel about Season 9? - JHyde - 09-11-2010, 03:55 AM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9? - theeyeshaveit - 09-11-2010 04:27 PM