Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How did you feel about Season 9?
10-11-2010, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2010 01:36 PM by theeyeshaveit.)
RE: How did you feel about Season 9?
(10-11-2010 07:41 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Back on topic please.

There were 2 genuinely good episodes in this season: 1 and 6 and 7 wasn't far off. And there was a lot I liked about 3, 4 and 5.

But for me, the finale was truly terrible and the more I think about it, the more I hate it. Perhaps if we hadn't known Ruth was to be kidnapped, the suspense quotient would have been higher. But we did know.

The finale really soured the season for me. Ultimately, it definitely ranks down in the bottom 3 seasons in my book. Mostly because the Lucas storyline was so ludicrous after we had been trained to expect of the character. All his best lines from season 7 ring hollow now. It was just silly.

I enjoyed reading your view as a senior member too. Even though I have watched 5 full series and parts of other series, having a terrible memory, I can lay no claims to being a Spooks expert.

I keep thinking of all the wonderful options they had to explore if they wanted to make an agent behaving badly the story of the series but which did not involve completely undermining the character and his credibility in earlier series.

Some of the things they could have used as a basis for rogue Lucas behaviour.

Lucas could have come across something that raised questions about his prison time and possibly Harry's part in it and he decided to go on his own personal investigation into it, requiring him to steal files, meet strange people and the like.
Somebody could have turned up from that past requiring or causing him to embark on rogue action. Anything would be more feasible that what we had.

How did he get into a Russian prison? Was he captured on a mission, what was the mission? Was he planted there and if so why? Why did he spend so long there before they arranged a transfer? Did anyone stuff up?
Did Connie tell the truth when she said she was to blame for Lucas being in the prison or did she just say that as a final good deed to give Lucas peace of mind about Harry? What else happened to him in prison? Was anyone else involved with him personally besides the two Russians we have seen, now both dead. Were there any lingering effects on him, has he ever been brainwashed etc etc.

How much better would it have been if Lucas went off the rails for something plausible instead of something fanciful like personality turnarounds, not once but twice supposedly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How did you feel about Season 9? - JHyde - 09-11-2010, 03:55 AM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9? - theeyeshaveit - 10-11-2010 01:31 PM