Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How did you feel about Season 9?
11-11-2010, 09:05 PM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9?
Series 9? Inspired! In my review of E1 I wrote that my heart sank in the first few minutes when Harry proposed but that I should have had more faith in the writers not to go down a sloppy happy ending route. Little did I know just how prophetic that was. As the series progressed and Harry unravelled more and more Ruth became stronger to the point of being annoying to me, only because I wanted her to show more empathy as far as Harry's moral and emotional struggle grew but I have to admit it was clever to have his uncertainties drive a wedge between them. As frustrated as I was it gave PF and NW so much scope to act their socks off and they did. Both were outstanding throughout.

For the first time since Lucas' return from Russia I felt an emotional attachment. No longer the doe-eyed lovesick wimp but a confused, psychologically disturbed character who I so wanted to redeem himself and come out alive but of course this is Spooks so fat chance of that! However I applaud Kudos for it and that's why I'm an avid fan. RA showed me why he is considered by so many to be a rounded and great actor. The more John/Lucas became entangled and was doing his worst the more I felt for him. However, the one niggle I had throughout the series was what seemed like only a 2 minute segment at the end of each episode to introduce the Vaughn and Maya story and carry what was after all the major series arc. More time could and should have been allocated to their development because although Vaughn came across immediately as the thorn in Lucas' side Maya didn't stand a chance with viewers with just a few seconds of a pained look or quick snog. Her scenes in the last episode proved she could have contributed far more if allowed.

The weekly stories were brilliant especially the lockdown on the Grid and the professor and his daughter doing their best to keep their secret from the terrorists and Russians. Dimitri could have been given more to do than defuse bombs but I loved his humour which was probably the only light touch throughout the series. Beth's introduction was okay and I enjoyed her first episode inspite of still missing Ros at that time but unfortunately she seemed to get sidelined as time went on and the dialogue for her character was at times ludicrous.

The Harry and HS scenes were enthralling and I loved the almost bitchy conflict that grew between them as the series progressed. Let's hope nothing changes politically in the next year to mean a new HS in office.

For me it was the best series ever and one I will watch again and again for its moving and sometimes disturbing character developments.

Oh yes, and my postscript ~ THANK GOD THE SHAKEY CAMERA WAS PUT TO REST. Superb directing thoughout!

That's it from me until 2011. Time to get my life back post~Spooks. Happy Christmas everyone and a Spooky New Year!! xxx
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How did you feel about Season 9? - JHyde - 09-11-2010, 03:55 AM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9? - molecatcher - 11-11-2010 09:05 PM