Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How did you feel about Season 9?
21-11-2010, 03:28 PM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9?
(21-11-2010 03:19 PM)binkie Wrote:  The problem I am trying to resolve is not so much whether the writers served well the sub-theme of suitability, or whether this was done in a logical or rigorous way. I think we can all pretty much accept that it wasn’t. I understand that the writers believe they are trying to make us think about existential interpretations of identity. What I do not understand is what the writers expect us to do now with what seems to be the conclusion of the suitability sub-theme that there is no such thing as suitability? This is what I mean when I suggest the sub-theme invalidates itself. What does the conclusion mean for the narrative and emotional integrity of the show, both retrospectively and in future? Ignoring, for the moment, the fact that the character used by the writers to develop this sub-theme was John/Lucas, and ignoring the individual details of that storyline, my questions are: what are we to take from the suitability question? And what are we to do with this information now we have it?

I think the main thing I gathered from it is that emotions cannot get in the way of your job - because it's emotions which affect your suitability, ultimately. In a way, perhaps they were trying to show us that it's only human to make mistakes, and that whilst (sorry, going to have to use examples here) Lucas was very good at his job, it was only when he was emotionally-detached from the situation that he worked best. We also saw this with Jo in series 7 - after her rape and imprisonment, she was no longer suitable for the job. She couldn't detach herself from it anymore.

We're beginning to see this in terms of Harry and Ruth's relationship as well. Harry's judgements are beginning to be affected by his concern for Ruth - which is in stark contrast with how he treats her when she returns form Morocco in series 8! It seems that the major characters are all beginning to get too emotive, whereas Ruth, who has always been the person who can relate to others on a more emotional level... seems to be losing that somewhat. Are we going to see a massive role-reversal in her relationship with Harry I wonder?

Beth wasn't suitable for a job at MI5 because she seemed too selfishly motivated, as well as not appearing trust-worthy. She returns, and is accepted. What has changed? Why do they trust her now? Is it because she helped Lucas? Once again, emotions are coming into play here.

I think the suitability theme is very strongly linked with the theme of loyalty and trust. Lucas was always loyal to his job, even though he wasn't ever really trusted. The fact that he was loyal pulled him through though. He was suitable because he would deliver results, at whatever cost. That in turn, ironically, creates stronger emotional bonds between the team - which is their hamartia in a way. Whilst they are human, emotional, and care for one another, they will always be weaker than the people they are fighting against.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope you were referring to suitability in terms of the job! Otherwise I might look like a bit of an idiot Confused

Gnothi Seauton.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How did you feel about Season 9? - JHyde - 09-11-2010, 03:55 AM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9? - Byatil - 21-11-2010 03:28 PM