Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How did you feel about Season 9?
05-04-2011, 12:25 AM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9?
(27-03-2011 07:25 AM)BravoNine Wrote:  I don't think the psychology and emotionality of the Lucas/John storyline is implausible, in fact, I actually think it is quite fascinating and it is quite possible to happen in real life. We can never truly know the people around us, there will always be sides that we don't see coming.

But I think what people have a hard time accepting is the logic behind this storyline that was never properly explained, instead it was quickly glossed over in the hopes that people will just accept it at face value. THAT is where my issues in this storyline comes from.

There were just too many logical inconsistencies that overshadowed the emotional side of the story, and that's where the writers' storytelling failed.

I agree, BravoNine. It wasn't what happened that I found implausible, but the reasons why that we (the audience) were given for it happening. It is, after all, a TV show and generally credits it's audience with intelligence and education. As an audience, I think we expect stories and characters that may take unexpected twists and turns and be at times shocking, but still fundamentally hold together as stories and characters. That looking back on an episode, or a season or the series as a whole, we can see threads weaving through, that may come together or drift apart, but are logically connected (even if at times fantastical, rather than realistic). It is a TV series and not real life. Questions that are left hanging, backgrounds that are unknown in real life, we expect to be privy to in a TV series. So, we want to understand - not necessarily agree with, nor approve/disapprove, nor like/dislike - but understand why a character behaves as they do, particularly when that character diverges from who we thought they were. Theoretically, that can make a character more interesting - if it is handled well. And I feel that was the downfall of the Lucas/John storyline - it was not handled/written well enough to convince the audience of its plausiblity within the Spooks world. This is different to the storyline's plausibility or otherwise in the real world.

"I like the niceties. They protect us from tyranny."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How did you feel about Season 9? - JHyde - 09-11-2010, 03:55 AM
RE: How did you feel about Season 9? - Nixie - 05-04-2011 12:25 AM