Poll: Will Harry survive the show?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
27-01-2011, 12:27 AM
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
It's a good question. I have no erudite or intellectual answer. I think it is really quite simple, and, as you say, it is about the actor. The standard of acting in Spooks is really high across the board, and when the directors can work with an actor of Peter Firth's abilities I doubt they would be keen to write him out before they have to. It is generally admitted that actors are only written out because they choose to leave so that they can explore other options. The manner of their exit can then be as dramatic as the writers dare to make it. I think the killing off of major players developed more because there was such a young, talented cast likely to be poached for other projects than because it was an initial aim of the show. Peter is a little further down his career path than most of the others and probably values the charms of a steady job, so is less likely to choose to leave. A mundane, practical consideration for all concerned rather than an artistic one.

Peter Firth took a small role and created a character that inspired admiration and devotion. I should imagine he is also wonderful to work with for directors and other actors. None of which has anything to do with where the plot should be going, but is bound to have an effect on the decisions of the programme makers. You can't really speculate on whether it would be the same if you had a different actor playing a different type of character (Norman Tebbit? - god forbid!!). Of course the good will or lack of it would be entirely different.

Speaking personally, it is the delightful acting skills of Peter Firth that keep me wanting to watch Harry Pearce. Sometimes a character just captures the imagination, and the man who has given up every personal consideration to protect his country and keep us all safe in our beds at night whilst maintaining the soul of a poet is a man of much fascination to me. He hasn't taken over the show in terms of screen time. Maybe it is just his scenes (and lines) that are the most memorable. Spooks is a great show, but I could take it or leave it if it wasn't for Harry Pearce.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3) - DogSoSmall - 27-01-2011 12:27 AM