Poll: Will Harry survive the show?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 06:21 PM by DogSoSmall.)
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
(01-08-2011 05:55 PM)beatrice4ruth Wrote:  To me and to NW, it is amazing that she still loves Harry after the death of George.

It's distressing to me that anyone (including Ruth and NW) could blame Harry for George's death. He didn't even know about George until suddenly he was sitting in a room with Ruth with a gun to both their heads. He wasn't the one that put George in danger. He was following all the tricks in the book to drag out the situation as long as possible so that a rescue could be attempted and then Ruth leaps in and discloses the whereabouts of a WMD the instant she is asked. It is her getting it wrong that makes Mani give the order to shoot George. Harry knows George is a dead man anyway. He didn't give the order and he didn't pull the trigger. All he did was protect the world from a real WMD as was his duty. Ruth would have been the first one to blame him if he had given away the lives of thousands for the sake of one life - oh yes, that sounds familiar!! Blaming Harry for George's death would make her the most massive hypocrite on the planet, and as I am also a huge fan of Ruth I refuse to believe that she blames him. I choose to believe that she is incredibly ashamed of herself. Harry trusted her with a huge national secret and the second she was put under pressure she crumbled and gave it up (or thought she did). She then sat and watched a much stronger and braver Harry not give in to the same pressure in spite of the pleading of the love of his life. I also think she was ashamed that he clearly had not moved on from loving her whilst in the space of a few years she had created an entire new family and home for herself. So I choose to believe that she was not in love with George but that they had a mutual understanding, having both lost the love of their lives, that they could have a companionship without the love that neither of them could give.

I was very disappointed in NW when she said about Harry "he had her husband killed". NO HE DIDN'T!!!!!!!!! If she thinks that about her own character I find myself doubting that she will portray Ruth in quite the way she is in my head (which is, of course, the right way Wink)
(01-08-2011 05:04 PM)Silktie Wrote:  To me, Harry is just about the only character that showed consistent character development throughout his time on the show. How boring would it be if he'd stayed exactly the same, no matter what calamities befell him? In that sense I liked where they took him in season 9. After everything that's happened, basically from that day Ruth stepped onto that boat and left, to Ros' death, Harry went through an awful lot. Adam died, Connie betrayed him, his own side accused him of being a Russian spy, he was kidnapped and fake-executed (and must surely have believed for a few awful minutes they were going to execute him for real), then had to make the decision to let Ruth's lover and stepchild die, then had to live with Ruth's reaction to that. On top of this Ros dies, Ruth says she can't marry him and the former HS turns out to be a traitor as well. I think it would have been unrealistic if Harry had remained his self-assured, breezy self after all of that.

My word, Silktie. When you put it like that it's a wonder the poor man can get up in the morning. And yet still he does, for the sake of us all. What a hero he is. Blush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3) - DogSoSmall - 01-08-2011 06:13 PM