Poll: Will Harry survive the show?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
21-09-2011, 01:40 PM
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
(21-09-2011 04:21 AM)loladom Wrote:  Not so sure the writers and producers would've thought that deeply about it.

Yeah, me too. But, it's good to know that I am not completely in my own world here. Wink It just really sounded like something a producer would say to the cast at the first reading to give them a general feel for the series. And it could turn out to be just that - a general tone of the series and not a direct parallel. It would not be the first time Kudos has pillaged Greek mythology, theater and literature for fodder for Spooks. Just never on such a large scale.

However....

I have been thinking about the father/son conflict theme. This theme is as old as Ancient Greek civilization. Remember The Son of Kronos from 4.1 (Maybe 4.2)? That is the first instance of a son/father conflict in Ancient Greek mythology. It's part of their creation myth. Just putting that out there and filing it away in my brain along with the Oedipus and Medea myths.

And B4Ruth, is it melodramatic? Maybe. But Ancient Greek theater was melodramatic - stylistically speaking. I suggest that Spooks is as well. The definition of melodrama is a style of theater that exaggerates plot and character in order to appeal, one might say manipulate, the emotion of the viewers. For me, Melodrama::Greek Theater as Greek Theater::Spooks. It's part of the reason I enjoy it. It's just so epic in scope! Big Grin

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3) - A Cousin - 21-09-2011 01:40 PM