Poll: Will Harry survive the show?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
25-10-2011, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2011 05:40 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3)
As I start to pick 10.6 apart (in a good way Big Grin), I have been thinking about the following and would like to know what you think.

The code-names Tourmaline and Peregrine. They say a lot, don't they?

Tourmaline is a semi-precious stone that comes in a lot of different colors. Which, of course, turned out to be the case with Elena.

Of course a peregrine is a bird of prey. Turns out Harry was not doing the preying. I wonder if the code-name gave him a false sense of power? And us a false sense of the truth of the matter?

Which leads me to wonder if they were assigned by MI-5 or the KGB? I believe that Sasha mentions finding Harry's MI-5 code-name? Did Ilya have a codename too?

Also, I have been thinking about Harry as the Tragic Hero. (Yeah, that again! Blush) I have read a couple of mentions of viewers who felt emotionally manipulated by the tragedy of Harry. I did not. At all. In fact, I think that was the point, and a successful one too.

So a couple of questions based on some of Aristotle's ideas in Poetics about what makes a successful tragedy. (Hey! Lookee here - maybe I didn't waste that $40,000 spent on drama school! Yahoo)

Tragic hero's are supposed to experience anagnorisis, some sort of revelation and/or recognition about human fate and destiny (and the will of the gods in ancient times.) Aristotle quite nicely terms this sort of recognition "a change from ignorance to awareness of a bond of love or hate." Do you think Harry experienced this and why?

Aristotle mentions that a tragedy should end in catharsis or purification, whether he meant for the character or the viewer is still debated. But most accept that it could be for either or both. I absolutely experienced a catharsis. Did Harry?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Sir Harry Pearce - Return of the Jedi (#3) - A Cousin - 25-10-2011 05:40 PM