Poll: Will Harry and Ruth get together by the end of the show?
I don't think so - a happy ending for them probably isn't in keeping with the show's philosophy.
Please yes - one happy ending won't being back all the others who didn't get one.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance?
20-09-2011, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2011 04:12 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance?
(20-09-2011 02:28 PM)Nitrus Wrote:  Time for my annual weighing in.

I actually liked Harry & Ruth in episode 1, they seemed more like really close old friends who care a lot about each other rather than two people on the cusp of a romantic relationship. That was nice.

Who are you and what have you done with Nitrus!?! Wink

Joking aside, I agree. I have no need for any further explanation of their synchronicity in 10.1. I really liked that they just did without all the angst and baggage. Are they schtupping each other? Immaterial.

Edited to add:

I too did not find Harry's explanation of the board as a denial of his feelings for her, only as a defense of his decisions as regards Albany, e.g. what was more important - a political deterrent that didn't work or the service's best analyst? It's a no brainer. The look back to her helped. Good actor instinct and direction that.

I don't think that Ruth's "We've had worse" is necessarily evidence of contact during his gardening leave. I think she is saying that they have had really bad "nights out" on operations. It's an acknowledgement of their considerable past together. Not with each other personally.

I thought that Harry's comment about them fitting into the glamour of the reception was sardonic, not a back handed compliment to Ruth. He was aligning them as outsiders together. And maybe even telling her that the glamour of it is only how it appears. She got the joke.

From a structural POV, I think the writers are setting us up for a fall.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - A Cousin - 20-09-2011 03:49 PM